Updating your Video SDK package within Jumpstart

Hello everyone! My name is Rehema, and I’m a Developer Advocate Engineer here at Zoom. With Jumpstart currently being in its Beta Version, I wanted to hop on here and share a few insights for working with it.

First off, the current version of Jumpstart (1.0.2) is running on an older version of the Video SDK package. When downloading your codebase via our jumpstart homepage and spinning it up on your localhost, you may see a message reading “invalid parameter” at the top of your window. This is an error in joining the session, and will prevent you from further using the app. The steps I took to resolve this issue are listed below:

• In your terminal, run “npm install @zoom/videosdk” to update your package to the latest version (^1.5.1)

• Go into src → App.tsx → Line 95. There, remove the last parameter passed into zmClient.init(), which reads ‘zoom.us’. Below is a screenshot of what your new init function should look like.
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 10.24.48 AM

Now, we’ll need to add in the ‘role’ argument into our meeting arguments object. Without it, we’ll run into another error joining our session. The steps to do so are below:

• Add in a key-value pair of ‘role: 1’ to your devConfig object in src → config → dev.ts. The value of ‘1’ sets you as the host of your session, while ‘0’ sets you as participant.
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 10.38.58 AM

• Add in the roleType parameter to the function used to generate the token by navigating to src → utils → utils.ts. Set the default value to 0
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 10.43.18 AM

• Within the same file, add the key-value pair (role_type: roleType) to the payload
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 10.43.47 AM

• Lastly, navigate to src → index.tsx, and add in the role argument to our call of generateVideoToken on line 22.
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 10.46.59 AM

Again, Jumpstart is in Beta, so we hope to see these changes embedded into its next update. For now, these are some quick fixes to get you up and running with the application. Feel free to use this thread to list any other issues you see when working with the codebase.

Thanks,
Rehema

2 Likes