Can you get a list of users in an active meeting from the Pro account?

I run a user-group, which now has to go virtual because of COVID-19. I’m planning on trying out Zoom for the first meetup. We normally do a prize-draw, and I have built a prize draw app which normally pulls RSVPs from Meetup. I want to change this so it gets current Zoom users in the meeting instead.

I’ve tried using “/v2/report/meetings/{meetingId}/participants”, but this always returns 404 (not found). And it looks like I need a business licence to use the dashboard and metrics features counterparts.

How can I get a list of users in an active meeting? It seems quite a basic requirement - I’m surprised if I can’t do this on a Pro paid-for account :frowning:

Thanks,
Dan

Hey @danclarke,

The only endpoint for getting list of users in current meeting is the Dashboard List Meeting Participants endpoint which does require a Business or higher plan.

Or you can implement a solution on your end utilizing our Participant Joined Meeting Webhook.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, this is what I was thinking of doing as a backup solution. It’ll certainly work, but not as clean.

Strange that the “/v2/report/meetings/{meetingId}/participants” endpoint just returned 404 though. I realise the docs says that this is for past meetings, so wouldn’t be correct for my use-case anyway - but it still seems to return 404 for past meetings too.

Happy to help @danclarke!

We will consider improving that error message. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy. I’ve now set this up via webhooks, and it’s working nicely. Is there anyway to get each user’s profile picture? If I make a call to /v2/users/ for my own user uuid, then one of the fields returned is pic_url, which is just what I want. Unfortunatley if I call that user for anyone else in the meeting, I get a 404 :frowning:

Hey @danclarke,

You can only call the Get Users endpoint for users who have installed your OAuth app or for users on your own Zoom account.

Thanks,
Tommy

Is there any other way I can programmatically get access to the profile picture URL of participants in my meeting?

Hi @danclarke, the only way to do this would be to follow Tommy’s advice above. If a user is on your account, you can access their data (including profile photo/user info) with account-level credentials. But if they’re not on your account, you’ll need to request their authorization to do so through OAuth.

Hi @danclarke i found your idea of lucky draw on zoom meeting quite interesting. can you share more thoughts on it.

Sure, I wrote a blog post about it…

https://www.danclarke.com/2020-prizedraw-zoom

Thanks for sharing @danclarke! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

1 Like

@tommy - no problem :slight_smile: Quick question for you - was there an issue with webhooks on the evening of the 18th May (UK time)? We had an event on, and our endpoint didn’t receive any webhooks when participants joined and/or left. I didn’t change anything, and it’s working again now. Was there a technical issue that day do you know? We ended up having to not do our prize draw for that event.

Hey @danclarke,

You can check our status page, status.zoom.us to see if there was any related outages or delays for that day. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy. There’s no mention of an incident on that date. However, your webhooks did stop working for my event.

Hey @danclarke,

Can you send the meetingID for the missing webhook to developersupport@zoom.us so we can look into our logs?

Thanks,
Tommy