Chatbot api, post message visible to everyone in channel

Hi all,

I have created a development chatbot that I have listed under apps, the bot responds to me and I can see the messages. I want to have the bot respond to queries in a channel I am in. I changed the to_jid parameter to the channel id and I can see the post now in the channel, but it says " Only visible to you".

How do I make the message from the bot visible to everyone in the channel?

1 Like

Hi @dougcw
Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to our community!
Can you confirm if you are using the following endpoint?

Please note that there is a to_channel field that you can pass in the request body

Thanks Elisa,

I appreciate your time, the endpoint was https://api.zoom.us/v2/im/chat/messages, so it allowed me to use the JID of the channel to post in it and see it, but I suspect the “im” means it just IMs into that channel. If I want to make this bot work in channel for all users I will need to use the teamchat endpoints. I have looked for a “chatbot” example that does this, but I don’t see anything on the zoom repo. Can you point me in the right direction! Again I really appreciate it.

Hi @dougcw
Of course, happy to help!
IM means Instant messages and you can send them to a contact or directly to a channel, depending on what you are trying to achieve.
Here are a couple of sample apps that you might find helpful:

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Cheers,
Elisa

Elisa,

Just to put a pin in this, I figured it out! Looks like I needed to create the app for the chatbot with account level access and not user level access. Once I did that I was able to send messages in whatever channel I placed the “/” trigger in.

The endpoint was https://api.zoom.us/v2/im/chat/messages

Thanks again for your help!

Doug

1 Like

Nice @dougcw
Happy to hear that you figured it out! and yeah definitely, an account-level app will send messages to everyone in the channel!
Thanks for sharing your findings with the community!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.