How do I go about creating UI controls for a Marketplace App?

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of creating a Marketplace App and I’m wondering how to implement its UI elements in the meeting view - “UI elements” being the frontend for the user’s Marketplace App settings. A dropdown and a radio element, to be specific. The settings there would affect how the Marketplace App works for the user.

But how do I do that? I couldn’t find it in the docs.

Thank you!

Nino

Hey @Skopac,

Thanks for reaching out about this. To make sure I’m fully understanding, is it possible to provide some more details/share a screenshot of the UI elements/controls you’re referring to?

Thanks!
Will

Hey @will.zoom ,

Thank you for your answer, and sorry for the confusion, I’m a first-time Zoom marketplace developer. Furthermore, I’ve only used Zoom a few times in my life as an end-user.

Let me try to provide an alternative explanation:
I’m building a Marketplace App and it needs to have user settings.
I was thinking of putting the settings “widget” here:

UI/UX-wise, there would be an icon on that panel, that when clicked, would enable the user to change its app settings.

Is that possible? Or have the architects of Marketplace Apps envisioned a different way to control user settings?

These user settings would affect how the Marketplace App business logic works on our backend servers.

Thank you!

Hi @Skopac,

I see, thanks for clarifying!

Unfortunately, these UI controls cannot be adjusted within the Zoom Client. If you wish to control these settings, most of them can be controlled via API or by leveraging one of our SDKs.

For example, you can control meeting settings such as camera, recording, etc. via our Update Meeting endpoint.

Alternatively, if you leverage our Web SDK, you can hide/unhide certain settings from the control panel. More details on that here:

Let me know if this information is helpful!
Will

1 Like

Thank you @will.zoom , that answers my question and clears that up, seems I was chasing the impossible.

I hope this is just a setback and I can still deliver the marketplace app. Therefore, I would like to explore alternative ways, and I hope you can advise.

I’d originally thought of the marketplace app I’m building to work in the following way: user goes to The Marketplace, installs MyAmazingApp, a new widget appears in the UI section attached below, where he/she can configure the behavior of MyAmazingApp. On the backend level, MyAmazingApp configures user’s Zoom account so it sends its video feed to MyAmazingApp’s backend server (by connecting to Zoom’s RTMP server as an RTMP client), where I do the analytics, and send them to the user in near real-time. The analytics would be displayed in an overlay in Zoom’s meeting view.

I’ve learned, thanks to your reply, that it isn’t technically possible.

Do you think you could suggest an approach that is technically possible, given the scenario described above, please? In other words, what is the way to do this as a Zoom marketplace app?

Thank you immensely.

Btw, I’m trying to get this working across platforms (desktop and mobile).

Hi @Skopac,

Thanks for laying out your use case! While the exact experience you’re trying to create isn’t necessarily possible, the closest thing I could recommend would be to leverage our upcoming Zoom Apps functionality:

Zoom Apps are not available quite yet, but will be released for general availability shortly. Zoom Apps would be best suited for a use case in which you want a user to interact with your functionality from within the Zoom client/during a live meeting. If this interests you, I recommend sharing an email on the page linked above so that you can stay up to date on the latest developments.

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

Hey @will.zoom , much appreciated, I’ve signed up to the list.

Just one last question: the best alternative right now is to let the user configure and use the marketplace app externally, for example on a website that I control? I’ve come up to this conclusion by studying how other marketplace apps work.

Regards,
Nino

Hey @Skopac ,

A good alternative would be to use the Zoom Client SDKs, which allows you to put the Zoom experience inside your application where you can develop additional features along side it to your liking.

Thanks,
Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.