Participant id (generated by me and passed in ZoomMtg.join) is changing to zoom generated id (WebSDK)

Thanks a lot. I hope we will get an update soon. Can you please ask one more thing? I am not able to find if is there any limit for length of “participantId”. The “ParticipantId” we pas with join call on App SDK and Web SDK.

Thanks again.

Hey @namrata,

You should not pass a participantId in the join function of the SDKs.

Thanks,
Tommy

I am sorry, I don’t know how I missed that. That reply was on May 29th and as I shared I am still not able to get email address. But I want to share that currently I am using participantid in both SDK (App and Web) … I can say that participant id from app sdk is available and I am using it to identity the participant, I will verify the Web SDK again. Can you confirm if it is deprecated only for the Web SDK? If it is supported in the App SDK then please ask them about the length.

As you shared that participant id is not supported in Web SDK then is email address related issue fixed now? I guess I need to again verify that too.

Thanks.

Hey @namrata,

It is also deprecated in the Mobile and Desktop SDKs. CC @jon.zoom @Michael_Condon.

As for the email address issue, we found the root cause, and we are working on fixing it. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Has this been fixed? The email that we pass when joining the meeting is empty on the web hooks. I was using participantid to be able to know the participant that joined from the webhook but I saw that yall removed this. I then tried the email address field and it shows blank on the webhooks. Is their a way to send an external id to the join so we can reference this on webhooks. this broke our app because of the participant id removal.

Hey @jerry,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. It looks like our team is still investigating the issue. I reached out to them to indicate that there is, even more, need to have this issue resolved.

I’ll be sure to keep you posted on new developments.

Thanks,
Max

We have similar experience, currently there’s a no way to track user.

There should some sort of custom attributes we can pass to the sdk when starting meeting and receive back that context on webhooks.

Thanks.

Hey @ankur.sharma,

Thank you for the feedback. We are working to resolve the issue with participant Ids and will update you here when a fix is made available.

In the meantime, If you would like custom webhook attributes to be considered for a future release, I recommend posting in the #feature-requests category.

Thanks,
Max

Hi,
Any updates on this email issue or any other ways to track the user?

We are using our custom solution, like on zoom.join() we call our back end and store the zoom current user id and our user id on redis, then later we use the zoom user id which is received on webhooks and use that zoom id to determine our user which was previously mapped on redis with zoom user id and our user id.

Hey @PraveenaDoss,

Thank you for your question. We are currently developing a solution that will allow you to track the user and will release that feature in the future.

In the meantime does the workaround provided by @ankur.sharma work for you.

Thank you for your input @ankur.sharma!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks for sharing your solution. We thought about this earlier but we could not apply it. The load on our site is increasing day by day this extra call to store the id will have a huge impact. Tracking via email address is a feasible solution. We are sending a unique email address for each participant but as the issue is, Zoom is not retuning it in the participant API, we really need a solution for this soon.

Hey @namrata,

Thank you for the update. I understand that this is critical for your use-case. I double checked the engineering tickets related to this and was able to see that our engineering team is actively working on implementing a fix but I don’t have a timeline as to when that will be made available just yet.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @MaxM

Any update about the above issue?
Can we now send any custom data while joining the zoom meeting link, so that we can track this at the end of the session?

Thanks

Hey @lov,

You can now use the customer_key field from APIs such as the List Meeting Participants Dashboard APIs. This value should be set by the WebSDK and will be unique for each unique participant.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM,

Can you please explain it more? We need to send our key/unique value (we will set this) at the time of join (both Web and App SDK) and if the participant disconnect because of any reason this value should not be changed. We need to compare the key with our database and set the participant’s data.

Hey @namrata ,

To clarify, you can use the customerKey property in the ZoomMtg.join function for this:

https://marketplacefront.zoom.us/sdk/meeting/web/ZoomMtg.html#join

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Can I send this with App SDK join function too?

Hey @namrata ,

Yes! :slight_smile: Which platform? I can point out where to do this for you.

-Tommy

1 Like

This ‘Yes’ is such a relief. Thanks a lot. I am using react-native.