Advanced Sample App: GET /zoom/api/v2/users/me - 500 Internal Server Error

Zoom Apps Configuration
react js, node.js, express, docker

Description
The API call to get user info fails (see screen recording). Sample app does not work as expected.

Screen Recording of GET /zoom/api/v2/users/me - 500 Internal Server Error:

Error?
2024-01-02 11:24:46 backend-1 | GET /zoom/api/v2/users/me 500 1.356 ms - 328
2024-01-02 11:24:46 backend-1 | Error: Error getting user from session:
2024-01-02 11:24:46 backend-1 | at getUser (/home/node/app/api/zoom/middleware.js:21:17)
2024-01-02 11:24:46 backend-1 | at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)

Troubleshooting Routes
Screen Recording of GET /zoom/api/v2/users/me - 500 Internal Server Error:

How To Reproduce

1. Follow steps on Github to create the Advanced Zoom Sample App.
    GitHub - zoom/zoomapps-advancedsample-react: This repository contains an Advanced Zoom Apps Sample. It should serve as a starting point for you to build and test your own Zoom App in development.
  2. Launch the Advanced Zoom Sample App in the Zoom Client.
  3. Click on the “authorize” button.

Github Issue

It seems like there’s an issue with retrieving user information from the Zoom API within the Advanced Sample App. The error message indicates a failure in fetching user data from the session, possibly within the middleware.

Given the error logs, the problem might stem from a specific function (getUser ) in the middleware file located at /home/node/app/api/zoom/middleware.js. There might be an issue with the authentication or authorization process when trying to fetch user data from the Zoom API.

Here are steps you can take to troubleshoot this:

1. Check Authentication: Ensure that the authorization process is correctly implemented within the app. Verify the credentials and tokens required to access the Zoom API.

2. Review Middleware Function: Investigate the getUser function in the middleware.js file. Check if it’s correctly handling the session or if there are any issues with retrieving user data.

3. API Endpoint Testing: Use tools like Postman or cURL to manually test the GET /zoom/api/v2/users/me endpoint with valid credentials. This helps verify if the issue is specific to the app or if it extends to the API itself. or check the step by step method

4. Debugging and Logging: Implement additional logging within the getUser function or related code to track the flow of data and identify where the issue occurs. This could provide more insights into what’s failing.

5. GitHub Repository: Check the repository’s issues section or discussions on GitHub for any reported similar issues or resolutions provided by other contributors or maintainers.

6. Version Compatibility: Ensure that the versions of the libraries, frameworks (like React, Node.js), and dependencies used in the app are compatible and up-to-date.

@imnathanbrooks Thank you for your response. Apparently the Add App button in the marketplace was not installing the app correctly, it was a known issue. The app works correctly when the install route “/api/zoomapp/install” is accessed directly.