Allow chatbots to join meeting chats

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

The chatbot API doesn’t allow the chatbot to participate in live meeting chats. I am trying to build a bot to enhance the live meeting experience, somewhat similar to the sample vote chatbot but it will primarily be useful in large video meetings, not so much in out-of-meeting chats.

I have a proof-of-concept chatbot built already, before discovering it could not participate in meetings.

Describe the solution you’d like
Allow chatbots to be part of live meeting chats.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
I can’t find other Zoom APIs to join the meeting chat

Additional context
Similar threads:

• Chat bot like Night_bot in Zoom [1]

• Currently we do not have any API’s for in Meeting Chat functionality. Our Chatbots work with Zoom Chat within the Zoom Client. - tommy - Jul. '19

• Are there any plans to change this?
    • That thread is long dead and was looking for a sample app
  • Ability for the chatbot to join a meeting [2]

• Talks about getting join/leave and webcam status, which can be provided by other APIs

1: https://devforum.zoom.us/t/chat-bot-like-night-bot-in-zoom/3709/5
2: https://devforum.zoom.us/t/ability-for-the-chatbot-to-join-a-meeting/5156

I can’t share these links as links, my account is too new

8 Likes

Hey @adam,

Currently we have no plans to add chatbot support in in meeting chat.

If you need polling / voting in your meetings, you can use in meeting polling:

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks for letting us know, shame :frowning_face:

1 Like

Hey @adam,

We are evaluating adding this feature. Stay updated here: https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

Thanks,
Tommy

2 Likes

I would add that I’d really like to use this feature as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @connort, thanks for showing interest in this feature! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

+1

I’m a systems architect at The University of Arizona (we use Zoom heavily) and am very interested in developing chatbots to use in live meeting chats.

Thanks for your interest @windhamg,

This has been added to our backlog (ZOOM-148066).

Stay updated here: https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

Thanks,
Tommy

hey tommy! i mentioned this in another thread but just wanted to say here as well that i’m very interested in this feature and would love to use it to improve the webinar experience for my business account.

1 Like

Thanks for the interest @nightpool! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

Same here! Would be very useful

Thanks for your interest @tristan! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

Hi there,
I want to support this feature too.
I want to create a chatbot, that interacts with users during the meeting.
During a meeting, the host will be able issue a slash command. The chatbot will react and send messages to the chat to enrich the meeting.
As there is no option to monitor chat messages using webhooks, there is no option to do it.
Thanks

Thanks @omer, we are investigating the feasibility of this feature.

-Tommy

1 Like

Same here! this feature would be super helpful for us.

is there a workaround to send a message to all meeting participants from a zoom app? is it possible to send chat message whenever a user joins a meeting? (I could not find a way to do that so far?)

thanks,
Michael

Hey @bumi,

You would have to implement a custom solution for this with our Webhooks and SDKs.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @tommy
that means that it is not possible to send a chat message directly to a user using the zoom client?
As far as I understand the SDKs make it possible to integrate zoom conferencing into an (GUI) application?
As a workaround I was thinking to send an individual chat message to the user whenever my app receives a participant_joined webhook - is that possible? I fail to send a chat message to the users.

Hey @bumi,

Apologies for the confusion.

You can send messages to the Zoom Chat on the Zoom Client, but not in “in meeting chat”.

Thanks,
Tommy

+1
Would like to integrate with Kahoot, a live quiz/game via “in meeting chat”. The host can then share the quiz on their screen and participants can submit responses (multiple choice buttons or “1, 2, 3, or 4”) with chatbot which are sent back to Kahoot and then reflected on hosts screen.

Currently we have to get the participants to download the Kahoot app on a seperate device or have multiple windows open on single device, which is not desirable from a user experence perspective.

I guess an alternative would be to use the WebSDK and access the chat functions locally and proxy through a browser. I’m a little rusty on React/Redux but I can see the messages in sessionStorage. Would that be appropriate alternative?

1 Like

Hey @msyea,

Great idea, I actually played Kahoot the other day on Zoom and was thinking the same thing, a Kahoot native / chatbot integration within Zoom.

Yes, that would be possible! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy