Alternate screen sharing sources

This is really a general question of where to begin and I do not know if this is the correct forum or not.

We are a streaming video platform mainly serving colleges and universities. Some faculty like to have a shared viewing experience in their classes (everybody in the room watching a film together, pre-C19), and then discussing the film etc.

We would like to enable faculty to stream our videos within Zoom, as when sharing a screen, except the video source would be our player. I am wondering what is involved in adding a video sharing source, like the Advanced Sharing option “Content from 2nd Camera”, where the source would be the video stream from our platform. Is this doable through the SDK or API?

We don’t stream the videos ourselves — we use Brightcove for our academic streaming, so it is entirely possible that someone has done something like that.

It is possible for faculty to play a film on their computer, and then share the screen with the video playing. But I am concerned with user bandwidth issues — the teacher’s computer is first playing the video we are streaming; and also then pushing that out to Zoom as a shared screen; and often doing this from home.

We could go the other way — to host the Zoom meeting within our site, but I think being able to stream to meetings as a shared screen is much cleaner.

I don’t know where to start with this, if someone can maybe point me to the right spot in the developer docs; or if anyone is aware of any existing solutions, it would be great to know. I looked at the marketplace, but didn’t see anything on my first pass.

Hey @jd555,

I suggest screen sharing the video and turning on the “Optimizing-a-shared-video-clip-in-full-screen” option.

For more questions regarding screen sharing, please reach out to support.zoom.us. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks. I understand that screen sharing is an option. However, I am looking for something that doesn’t require a double load on the user’s bandwidth (first downloading the video; and then uploading it to the Zoom meeting).

How do you create a new video source, as, e.g. with the “second camera” option?

Hey @jd555,

Here is info on sharing an external camera:

For more questions regarding screen sharing, please reach out to support.zoom.us. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.