Stream video to meeting via web API

Description
I want to create a virtual participant from the web with API, and stream its video as well - create the video stream in the web and stream it to the meeting.
Is this possible? If not, will it be possible in the future?

Hey @adamm

Thanks for posting on the Zoom Devforum! I am still learning, but I will try my best to help answer your question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Checkout this related thread that may have the answer you are looking for:

If this thread did not help, please let us know by replying back here and someone from the Developer Relations team will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,
DeveloperBot

This refers to accessing a participant video stream.
I want to create a new participant and also stream its video in the meeting.

Hi @adamm,

Thanks for reaching out about this, and good question. We don’t currently have an out-of-the-box solution for programmatically creating a new participant for the express purpose of streaming video from that participant.

For now, if you wish to emulate this experience, you would need to use an existing participant in the meeting and use the Share Screen functionality to stream your desired resource from that participant once the meeting has started.

Thanks,
Will

Hey @will.zoom and thanks for the reply,

Do you mean that I’d need to do that manually, or is there a way to automate this programmatically?

What I want is to use Zoom API to stream video for an existing or new participant, via his Camera or Screen Share - doesn’t matter to me.

I want to stream or screen-share a media file I have on my server, automatically.

Hi @adamm,

Thanks for clarifying—this would need to be done manually in the meeting. We don’t currently have API endpoints to support streaming a participant’s screenshare/camera programmatically, though this is a great suggestion.

Thanks,
Will

Hey @will.zoom,

Got it, thanks for the reply.
A really cool workaround for my use-case, would be to somehow integrate with Zoom’s manual Screen Share to allow sharing just a part of my web page (e.g a specific iframe or video element).
My web app creates a super cool and useful video ready for sharing - the issue is that it’s rendered inside the browser so when a user shares my window it also includes the browser’s frame.

Is there any solution for this?

Appreciate your help

Hey @adamm,

Thank you for your question. The best current solution that comes to mind involves a 3rd Party software called OBS as well as a plugin for that called Virtual Cam.

In OBS, you can use the Browser Source and hold ALT/CMD while you drag the source window to make the capture area it as small as necessary. Using a browser source will also limit the screen capture to the browser and exclude the navigation bar.

You can then use the Virtual Camera that is created from your Browser Source as your Zoom Camera to share the specific part of your webpage.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @MaxM and thanks for the reply.

I’m familiar with OBS but really wanted to automate this process for the user.
Is there any plan on Zoom’s end to develop a feature or API that would allow what I’m looking for?

Also, unrelated question - I want to optimize the video I’m rendering in the browser for Zoom’s screen share - what is the optimal resolution and bitrate / FPS to make it perform at its best?

Thanks

Hey @adamm,

Is there any plan on Zoom’s end to develop a feature or API that would allow what I’m looking for?

I’m not aware of any plans to add DOM aware browser screen share features to Zoom. I do think that’s a great idea though! If you would like this feature to be considered for a future release, I recommend posting in the Feature Requests category.

what is the optimal resolution and bitrate / FPS to make it perform at its best?

Zoom will attempt to maintain a supported frame rate of 30 FPS but this can depend on the compute resources of the client as well as network bandwidth and reliability.

When it comes to the best resolution and bitrate to use with Zoom that too can depend on the computer and the network that will be using it.

That being said, I recommend looking at the Meeting and Phone statistics to get a good idea of the average resolution and frame rate that you are seeing when sharing video or your screen. From there, you can cross-reference a guide like this to see what bitrates work well for your configuration.

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.