Audio Rooms/Channels

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
I am a teacher and need students to be able to work in small Groups. Breakout rooms are great! But they are literally like sending people to other room. I need them to stay in the same room, but be able to talk in smaller groups.

Describe the solution you’d like
I would like to be able to have a single zoom meeting room and a “main room audio channel”, and then also be able to add other audio channels “Room 1” “Room 2” “Room 3” etc.

This way I can still monitor all participants via video, but switch audio rooms to join smaller groups of students talking and working together.

Participants in the same “audio room” should be able to share their screen with each other. But still be visible in the main room Gallery view to the host.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
Alternatives include using Zoom for video only, with all participants on mute, and a separate App for audio - Like Teams or Discord. This was my origional idea to work around the problem of the seperated breakout rooms, and then realised that if Zoom could just add Audio breakout rooms rather than the current video+audio breakout rooms, it would solve the problem.

Additional context
We have also been hosting large music concert parties - 50 - 100 participants. It would be nice to have this Audio Rooms function, where you could play the main room at 20% volume, and have your current audio room at 100%. This would allow participants to have conversations together while still being connected to the main performance.

1 Like