Basic info on cloud recording

Cloud recording for Android was only introduced recently. I wasn’t able to find any documentation about this feature. I currently have recording support within my app using raw video frames and raw audio.

The recording my app does is create a single MP4 file that consists of a grid of participants in a video session. The app however is rather advanced. For example, if the host taps on a participant, it makes that participant’s video feed full screen. Tapping again, puts them back into grid mode where everyone is visible. These events of changing from grid mode to a single participant full screen mode is part of the recording. So in other words, whatever the host sees on their screen gets recorded. When the session ends, I even automatically include an intro screen in the MP4 that lists basic information like who the participants are, title and date the video was recorded.

I highly doubt that Zoom’s cloud storage does any of this. In all likelihood, multiple streams are recorded - one for each participant. And it’s up to the host to download these recordings and use some video processing tool to combine them into a single video. Although my app already provides real-time recording, I would like to add the ability for the host to use Zoom’s own cloud recording feature. This would be useful in the event that the host’s device is not powerful enough to handle real-time recording. Also, cloud recording would also act as a backup in the event that the recording on the device gets corrupted.

I have several questions about cloud recording:

1. Are multiple streams recorded? One for each participant, or does the recording create a grid and just add each participant’s stream as a grid item when they join?

2. What format is the recording in? MP4? Raw YUV frames?

3. Does my account include a free amount of storage for the recording? If so, how much?

4. What is the cost for recording?

5. How do I access the online recording?

6. The sample code that ships with the SDK includes source code showing the use of cloud recording features but all of the code throughout the app is commented out. Why is that? Is this still just beta code left in that we shouldn’t be using?

7. When are you going to provide documentation on how to implement cloud recording for Android?

Thank you!

Hi @AndroidDev,

The recording feature included with the SDK does have some similar features to your recording implementation, but it seems like your implementation does have some features which are not supported. The SDK does not have the ability to dynamically change the recording layout based on events performed in your app.

Are multiple streams recorded? One for each participant, or does the recording create a grid and just add each participant’s stream as a grid item when they join?

This can be configured through your account. It is possible to show an active speaker or gallery view in your recording, with either option being under a single file.

What format is the recording in? MP4? Raw YUV frames?

Recordings are stored in mp4 format.

Does my account include a free amount of storage for the recording? If so, how much?

Cloud recording is an optional add-on for your Video SDK account.

What is the cost for recording?

You can find information for the cost on your account’s billing page.

How do I access the online recording?

Each recording will have a URL, which can be accessed through the list recordings endpoint or through a webhook.

The sample code that ships with the SDK includes source code showing the use of cloud recording features but all of the code throughout the app is commented out. Why is that? Is this still just beta code left in that we shouldn’t be using?

I’m actually not sure why it was commented out. My best guess would be that since it is not available for all accounts, it could cause confusion for developers who aren’t able to access the feature.

When are you going to provide documentation on how to implement cloud recording for Android?

We have plans to add documentation in the future but have not prioritized this since the Android implementation is pretty straightforward. Most of the questions we’ve seen asked are related to the recording plan as a whole, which wouldn’t necessarily be in our developer documentation. I’ve brought this up with our documentation team and will see if we can publish documentation to help fill in the blanks on that side of the equation. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

You wrote:

This can be configured through your account. It is possible to show an active speaker or gallery view in your recording, with either option being under a single file.

Does that mean that during a session you can alternate between a grid layout or a single person in full screen and this will be in the recording? What exactly is the API that is used to bring a person into full screeen and then back into grid layout?

Hi @AndroidDev,

These are account settings, so they would apply to all sessions created under your developer credentials. Each one of the layouts you select should be recorded separately. There is currently no way to programmatically change these settings through the SDK while in a session.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.