Cannot start share screen view

Description
I listen client event active-share-change. When it’s Active, I do stream.startShareView . And after about half a minute I get timeout error.

I tried to render on clean new canvas, the one that I use for partner video, HTMLVideoElement, always the same result.

OT for WebCodecs and SAB are turned on.

Browser Console Error
{ type: "OPERATION_TIMEOUT" }

Which Web Video SDK version?

Video SDK Code Snippets

client.on('active-share-change', async (payload) => {
            if (payload.state === VideoActiveState.Active) {
                await stream.startShareView(canvas, payload.userId);
            } else if (payload.state === VideoActiveState.Inactive) {
                // ...
            }
});

Device:

• Device: Macbook Pro
  • Browser: Chrome
  • Browser Version: 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (x86_64)

I’m also getting this issue and confirm the canvas (or video) element and user IDs are all being set correctly.

Video SDK Version:

Device:

• Browser: Chrome

Hi @dekoyre,

For the person who’s sharing their screen, a video tag must be used if they support web codecs.

For the person who’s viewing the share, that must be a canvas element.

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/sdk/video/web/essential/screen-share/#using-webcodecs-use-video-element-instead-of-canvas

@tommy - Could you get the above documentation section updated so it’s clearer for future developers? There’s a section called ‘Viewing participant’s screen sharing’ then ‘Canvas elements’ and then directly under that there’s a section explaining that you should use video instead of canvas if web codecs are enabled. It’s certainly not clear that this is only for the person who’s sharing the screen.

Thanks,

Nick

1 Like

Thanks! I see.

But anyway in case of the person who’s viewing the stream, I’m getting timeout error even if trying to render on canvas.

Is it appearing OK for the person who’s sharing their screen, i.e. does it appear in the ‘video’ (assuming the browser supports the WebCodecs)?

Yep, for the one who shares the screen it’s all good (with WebCodecs and video element)

You mention you have tried using a “clean” canvas that’s used for the partner video. Have you tried a completely separate canvas that’s not being used for anything else at all? I have a canvas that is only in place for viewing the screenshare and nothing else.

We are also facing the same error “OPERATION_TIMEOUT” when a participant tries to view the screenshare. @nickuk We are using a separate canvas for viewing the screenshare. It works fine for the participant who shares the screen.

We are currently using Web video sdk version 1.1.6

Hmmm, @dekoyre & @mitesh.gandhi , just in case, does upgrading to version 1.1.7 do anything? That’s what I’m using where it’s working correctly.

Hey @nickuk ,
Yes, updating to 1.1.7 resolved the screen sharing issue.

Thanks,
Mitesh

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.