Copy/Paste from local to remote during a Remote Control session

Not sure if I am posting this at the right place, apologies if not.

We would like to know if you plan to add a copy/paste feature on the Desktop Client so that an IT support person doing a remote control session on a screen sharing of a User needing help can copy commands from his/her local machine and paste them on the remote.

That’s something Teamviewer allows for instance with the Clipboard Sync: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/General-Questions-EN/is-it-possible-to-use-copy-amp-paste-from-the-host-computer-and/td-p/6856

Thank you very much!

1 Like

This had been working in prior versions of Zoom, just noticed it isn’t working like it used to. We also need to be able to copy/paste from Local to remote to setup things quickly in a professional recording session use case. Can you please let us know if there was a change or a preference someplace to check to allow the local clipboard to be pasted to the remote screen shared and controlled by local computer?

@dave3 also having the same issue here where I used to be able to copy/paste local to remote but no longer am able to. Please let me know if you figure out how to do it again, because it really messes up my workflow.

Ditto. I chose Zoom over many other solutions, pre-pandemic, specifically because of its flawless copy/paste both from local to remote, and from remote to local. Most other solutions either blocked copy/paste or only worked one direction, local to remote or vice versa.

I am extremely disappointed that the functionality has been spotty, or just outright broken, for months now. If no solution or workaround is found there is very little reason to keep Zoom for our team or corporate solution.

1 Like

I discovered a new feature that was rolled out fairly recently which is disabled by default. The person who is sharing their screen has to go into the Screen Share Overlay > Remote Control > Select “Share Clipboard” or whatever it says.

You may need to have the local person enable this for each session.

@trevor.benson @jereme.lamps

@dave3 @ssaunier see above post.

I’m assuming you mean under More Settings (when you get the web page Sign In | Zoom page)
Personal → Settings → Meeting → Security → Remote Control
which has the description of:
During screen sharing, the person who is sharing can allow others to control the shared content
and the Checkbox itself says:
“Allow remote controlling user to share clipboard”.

I am familiar with this option, it appears to be defaulted to enabled for me and all my coworkers. Regardless of the default value coworkers and myself tested this option and it has made zero difference in any copy/paste tests from the desktop client (enabled on one side, enabled on both, etc.). We have tried desktop clients for Linux to Linux, Linux to Mac, Linux to Windows, Mac to Windows, etc., and in all cases the copy/paste fails.

@briandavis Have you actually tested this with other users and found it to change your results?

My coworker has resorted to opening up a second zoom instance via web browser so he can use it strictly as a clipboard buffer. So it seems the web/chrome client can copy/paste but the desktop clients appear to not work as expected. Obviously the remote controlled session has this enabled and is allowing clipboard sharing, because it works from a web client at the same time it does not work from the desktop client.

That’s a different option, but yes, that needs to be enabled as well.

This is the Desktop app setting I’m referring to:

Yep, noticed last year that Clipboard broke and I discontinued my Zoom account, tried it again today and glad I didn’t pay for a full year as I will be going back to WebEx. Every customer I work with I cannot use clipboard between devices. Everything is enabled.