Creating users through the REST endpoint failing consistently from some machines

On some machines, I receive a 500 exception when trying to call the Create User endpoint (POST to v2/users). The same exact payload request will work from other machines.

Steps to reproduce:

• Get a valid JWT token from developer.zoom.us
  • Using either curl or Postman, call create user endpoint to submit payload:
    {
    “action”: “custCreate”,
    “user_info”: {
    “email”: “user@domain.com”,
    “password”: “password”,
    “type”: 1,
    “first_name”: “First”,
    “last_name”: “Last”
    }
    }

Expected: 201 Created message
Actual: 500 exception

As mentioned, I’ve been able to run the same payload successfully from certain machines, but not from other machines. I’ve done a variety of things including checking network connectivity, restarting, using multiple JWT tokens, viewing zoom API logs (the 500 exception doesn’t show up there). This started appearing yesterday and has been causing production outages on multiple customer environments.

2 Likes

We also noticed some change in zoom API about 4:00am Pacific Oct 12th, that we could no longer create users and would receive error code 500. To us it seems that ZOOM is more strictly validating the payload. When we pass extraneous attributes in user_info it now fails with 500.

success
{“action”:“custCreate”,
“user_info”:{
“first_name”:“Test”,
“last_name”:“New User 102”,
email":"virtual_11111111@domain.com”,
“type”:“1”}}

fails, worked for the last 2 years until yesterday
{“action”:“custCreate”,
“user_info”:{
“first_name”:“Test”,
“last_name”:“New User 102”,
“people_id”:“11111111”,
email":"virtual_11111111@domain.com”,
“type”:“1”}}

put/update with the extra attribute still works

would like to know what actually changed

3 Likes

Yeah, can confirm via reqbin, removing most of the null fields corrected the issue.
But that’d be a hard fix for us to get in quickly. Hoping Zoom can rollback whatever caused this. There are no mentions of anything in their changelog … grrrr…

+1 - seeing this issue too.