Download URL, filename header info change?

Folks,
I wrote a bunch of scripts to check for new recording then download those recordings locally. In the web browser interface you’re typically prompted to save the file and a filename is given.

Since it’s not the same our script attempts to do a download then grabs the intended filename from the header.

Has this changed? We don’t see the filename info in the header anymore.

Hey @kchan,

What was the file name typically?

FYI you can also use our recording completed webhooks to accomplish this programmatically.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,
We do a command via curl to get the header from the download URL. Different file types would return different info. For most file type we’d grep for the Location string then parse from there. Some file types would do a filename=xxxx.

I’ll look at the recording completed webhooks. Didn’t know it existed. I had asked a couple of weeks ago about getting filename via parsing the returned head info and no one mentioned that webhook. Thanks!

kenwrick

1 Like

Hi Tommy,
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. The filename would be the same filename that your web browser would prompt you (to save) if you entered the download URL after authenticating to your zoom account via the web browser.

kenwrick

Hey @kchan,

Happy to help! :slight_smile:

Possible solution would be to come up with a naming convention, maybe the date and meetingID or meetingUUID (returned from api and webhook) and make that the file name.

Thanks,
Tommy

As it turns out I did something similar but the downloads still didn’t work. Looking that resulting downloads I see

Password Required - Zoom

Is this due to the newish security change of requiring a password? The account that I’m downloading from is an admin account. Is there an alternative way to download the media?

Using the web browser and download URL authenticated with my “admin” credentials I could successfully download a good file. It’s just using the same script that was working for the past month it’s somehow broken (for downloads), but it still can connect via the api to get a listing of recordings by the user.

Hey @kchan,

For downloading password protected files, please see our docs:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/cloud-recording/recordingget

Or use the download token in the recording completed webhook:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/webhook-reference/recording-events/recording-completed

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks Tommy for setting me on the right path. As it turns out for now, you can’t do both. So appending ?access_token=xxxxxx to the download URL certainly works, but it won’t if you also send Authorization: Bearer xxxxx in your header info.

Hey @kchan,

That is correct.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks Tommy.

kenwrick

1 Like

Happy to help! :slight_smile:

-Tommy