Find out whether a account is a regular account or master/sub-account through API

Description
I am trying to check whether an account is a regular account or a master/sub-account from the API. My use case requires me to have different flows based on the type of account (I would need to get details of the sub-account if present).

Is there an endpoint with a flag that indicates the type of account?

Hi @akankshkn91,

Good question.

While we don’t have an endpoint to query what type of account a standard account is, you can query sub accounts using the List Sub Accounts endpoint and this returns an account_type field for each sub account.

You can also leverage our Account Created webhook for sub accounts to know when they’re created, which may be of use to your workflow.

On a more basic level, you can also verify account types in the UI once logged in, from this page:

Let me know if this helps!
Will

Thank you for the response, @will.zoom .

This would help me to get the account_type for subaccount, if present. However, if it a regular account, with no sub-accounts present, I would not be able to access this endpoint, right?

I was checking to see if there is any way from the API to know this, before I hit a sub-account API and get an error message.

Hi @akankshkn91,

That’s correct, this endpoint is for sub accounts. We don’t currently have an endpoint specifically for listing details of a standard account, though this is a great suggestion. If you’re so inclined, I might recommend submitting a feature request for this here: #feature-requests

Thanks,
Will

Thanks @will.zoom. I have submitted a feature-request for this.

Is it possible for a master account to not have any sub-accounts under it?
I was looking at a workaround for knowing the type(regular or master/sub-account) of account, by looking at the accountID for all the users. If the accountID’s are same for all the users then it would be a regular account, and if it is different then it would to be a master/sub-account.

Hi @akankshkn91,

Good question. There are circumstances where a master account may not have a sub account under it. You may find the this account structure overview helpful for understanding the architecture.

If you use the Users endpoints for determining accounts, this could be a good way to determine which account they belong to if you’re keeping track of which account IDs correspond to which account type on your end.

Let me know if this helps,
Will

Hi @will.zoom ,

Thanks for the response.

I have requested this in the #feature-requests. Do you have a rough timeline on when this would be picked up or usually how long the feature requested takes to be implemented. I did not get any response to my request, so was just curious about this.

Hi @akankshkn91,

While our team strives to review these and implement feature requests where we can, we do not have a timeline for these requests, nor can we guarantee they’ll be implemented. The best way to see which features make it in to upcoming releases is to subscribe to our Changelog.

Thanks,
Will

Thank you so much for the clarifications @will.zoom . Much appreciated.

I want to test few of my use cases in a master/sub-account. Does Zoom provide a sandbox account with the master/sub-account setup, so that I can validate the endpoints and features, before deploying it?

Thanks in advance !

Hey @akankshkn91,

Glad this helped! In regards to a sandbox environment, I’m afraid this is not something we currently offer, though I understand why it’s important to have such an environment. This is on our roadmap, and we hope to offer sandbox/developer environments soon.

Thanks,
Will

Yeah, that would be really helpful, especially to test out use cases around the master/sub-accounts.

I am planning to get an account with a couple of licenses, and request for a master/sub-account, so that I can test my use case before deploying it. What would be the steps/process to request a master account? I could not find any documentation around this, so any information in this regard would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey @akankshkn91,

Good question—to request a Master account, you will need to submit a request via email to partner-success@zoom.us. They’ll be able to get you set up.

Thanks!
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.