Getting a Zoom URL from a meeting ID and passcode

As a student, I’ve been given a meeting ID and passcode to be used recurrently. I would like to create a URL to bookmark so that I can open the meeting in the Zoom desktop client. As others have complained (How to generate "join" URL given ID and password?), this doesn’t seem to be supported, and one has to manually enter the meeting information. A straightforward protocol to handle meetings such as zoom://meeting/meeting-id/passcode should be implemented if one does not already exist.

1 Like

Hi @C_9492 , you can bookmark Join Meeting - Zoom or ask the meeting host to share a url with the passcode embedded.

Does this work for you?

This is a poor solution. The use case all commenters are trying to solve here is simple.

As a meeting attendee who receives a Meeting ID and Password from the host, but not the Join URL, I want to convert the Meeting ID and Password to a clickable link so I am not trying to jump back and forth between the app where the Meeting ID and Password were provided (email, calendar, website, etc.) to get the info copied and pasted into the join portal.

While it has become widely accepted to put the link into the invite, some don’t do so. As an attendee, this creates an issue for manual input error and can result in being late to the meeting. To avoid this, meeting attendees desire an option to convert their Meeting ID and Password to a one-click link. From a security standpoint, a user that has a valid Meeting ID and Password is in the same position as one with the Join URL for the same meeting.

Solutions could include:

1. Creating a web page where an attendee can enter the Meeting ID and Password and receive the Join URL.

2. Enabling an attendee to get the Join/Invite URL from the waiting room (i.e., you sign into the meeting several days before it’s scheduled time and have a way to retrieve the URL even though the meeting has not yet been opened.

3. Allowing an attendee to add third-party meetings to their schedule in the zoom app, including entering the Meeting ID and Password ahead of time so that they can go to their scheduled meetings page and open the meeting with one-click.

4. Enabling a function that will accept an unencrypted password as an argument at the end of a zoom link and will treat it as though the password was typed at the prompt. For example:
    …/j/[MEETING_ID]?cleartext-pwd=[CLEARTEXT_PASSWORD]

1 Like

Hi @davemorris.esq ,

The option I offered is most aligned to your first option presented:

When you enter your meeting id on that page, you’re prompted to join the associated meeting. From there, you have access to the meeting url.

Nonetheless, appreciate your input!

Unfortunately this is NOT a solution to the original request.

Why does it matter? It hurts UX for no obvious reason.

• People who needs this are attendees who process info to join a meeting. They could have shared the credentials by any means, but they can’t create a click-to-join URL, just because Zoom chose to hash / encrypt the password on the link.

• Security by obscurity is a poor pattern.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback @jlau! We are always iterating across the developer platform and we appreciate developer customer insights.

Many times a user might want a URL without having to join the meeting. For instance, many courts use Zoom for hearings and will use the same meeting ID/password for all hearings on their docket. It would be awkward/inappropriate to log into someone else’s hearing just to be able to have a convenient URL to access the meeting at your scheduled time.

Hi @mchirco ,

Meeting creators have the option of sending a join URL in the initial meeting invite or if they send the invites out again programmatically. There is no other updated way to get the Zoom URL from a meeting ID and passcode at this time.