How to choose JWT or OAuth authentication for webinar

Hi Tommy,

How are you?

1. so for the “remove” panelist issue: host uses zoom app on android phone, and panelist uses desktop app on macbook. (they both use zoom app since they cannot use SDK to start/join webinar, right?). if the host remove the panelist, on the host screen it will show something like “the panelist will not be able to re-join”. And then the panelist will be kicked out. But, if the panelist uses the join_url again, he can re-join.

2. for the “promote to panelist” option issue: attendee use sdk, and host uses zoom app on both android app or desktop app on macbook, they have the same issue. if host choose a attendee and “promote to panelist”, it will kick out the attendee but the attendee will not automatically re-join. IF, the attendee uses zoom app, he will re-join. I think you mentioned that the sdk does not support panelist join_url.
    So since I will use sdk for attendee, I wonder if there is a way on host side to disable the “promote to panelist” option.

I hope these make sense to you. Thanks so much.

Best,
Harrison

Hey @webinar,

I am good thanks!

Can you please reach out to support.zoom.us for this issue as it is unrelated to the Web SDK.

Currently that’s how are Web SDK handles this situation. We will work on fixing this. (ZOOM-141701)
Unfortunately there is no way to disable the “Promote to Panelist” option. I suggest you inform the host of the webinar to not use that feature.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Thanks so much! Right now I sort of finished the integration of zoom, version 1 :slight_smile: Thanks so much for your help. I hope zoom sdk will get event better! Thanks and I will look for the issue on support.zoom.us . Have a good one.

Best,
Harrison

1 Like

Happy to help, Harrison! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you have finished v1 of your integration with Zoom!

We will keep you updated on improvments to the Web SDK here: https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

-Tommy

Sorry, just noticed you replied something. Thanks. Have a good one

1 Like

Thanks, you too! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

Hi @tommy I had a related question about JWT api key usage that I don’t believe got clarified here…

We are integrating with the web SDK in order to allow webinar attendees to join via our event portal. They log into our portal, and when they join we provide their name and email. Theses are webinars that are not running registration and are only password locked. We are also preventing attendees from needing to sign onto a zoom account in order to join.

We have our own zoom account that we use from time to time but the intention is for event organizers to use their own zoom accounts to create webinars and hand us their meeting id and password.

Question 1: we are currently using our own zoom account’s JWT api key to generate join signatures for attendees joining another zoom account’s webinar. This appears to work but I want to very this is ok!

Question 2: if number 1 is fine, then my assumption is that if we were to try to manage another zoom account’s webinars’ registration list by registering our attendee server to server using our account‘s api key that this would fail. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Hey @evilbert103,

Yes this is correct, you will be able to join external Zoom Webinars / Meetings, just not start external meetings / webinars.

Yes it would fail, however if you want to do that, you can use the OAuth flow which allows you to take actions on another Zoom users behalf…

Thanks,
Tommy