How to determine role value for signature

Description
To generate signature for Meeting Web SDK I must know meeting number and role – 1 or 0, or in another words ‘host’ or ‘participant’.
The role is crucial, incorrect role can lead to errors while trying to join a meeting, for example ‘Signature is invalid’.

But how exactly to determine the role value is not clear.

The solution I came up with is like this:

1. If user’s personal link is the same as invite link => user’s role is host
  2. Then I query Zoom /users/me/meetings endpoint, with ‘type’ parameter set to ‘scheduled’. If I find among these meetings the meeting with the same meeting number as the one I extracted from invite link => user’s role is host
  3. If nothing of the above is true => user is participant

But users complain that this is not always enough.

How to determine role value?

Which App Type?
SDK OAuth

How To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. User A starts a new meeting with the help of Zoom Desktop application.
  2. User A copies invite link and shares it with user B
  3. User B authenticates in our custom web application that uses @zoomus/websdk
  4. User B sends request (to our custom server) to generate signature with meeting number we extracted from invite link user A gave, and with role 1 (host).
  5. User B uses this signature to join the meeting
  6. ‘Signature is invalid’

Hi, @_maksym,

Thank you for posting. One approach you can consider is to decode the signature, the format will be JSON Web Token,

Addendum

If using SDK App type, debug by https://jwt.io

Example signature created with SDK App type:

eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJzZGtLZXkiOiJhYmMxMjMiLCJtbiI6IjEyMzQ1Njc4OSIsInJvbGUiOjAsImlhdCI6MTY0NjkzNzU1MywiZXhwIjoxNjQ2OTQ0NzUzLCJhcHBLZXkiOiJhYmMxMjMiLCJ0b2tlbkV4cCI6MTY0Njk0NDc1M30.UcWxbWY-y22wFarBBc9i3lGQuZAsuUpl8GRR8wUah2M

jwt.io

In the PAYLOAD section, you can see the values and debug them there.

If using JWT App type, debug by base64decoding it. Here is a helpful forum post you can reference on this topic as well:

HI, @donte.zoom , I know the value of the role in signature, because I generate it. The issue is what role value should I provide in which cases?

@_maksym,

For the Web SDK, you want to leverage the user role to specify whether the user is a participant or host. For instance, if you want a user to be able to start a meeting, you would want to assign the host role. In short:

→ You want to use the value 0 to specify the participant role

→ And, You want to use the value 1 to specify the host role

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.