How to start using the API

Hi, I’m just getting started and I would like to create an app to list users of my account. Based on the instructions in the docs, I created a OAuth app and installed it on the account.

For testing purposes, you do not need to publish this app. You also do not need to provide any Redirect or Whitelist URLs. This applies only while you test using the Test Request Widget within our API reference docs. However, you will need valid credentials for the app as well as the Scopes required for each API.

Yet, in order to install the application I needed to provide a Redirect url, so I provided a bogus one because I only want to try out the API using the test request widget in the docs.

Unfortunately, when I try to generate an access token in the testing widget a window opens and it complains that it needs a good redirect url. So I’m not sure how to proceed here. How do I create an app that simply gives me access to the testing widget?

Hi @simone,

Welcome to the Zoom Developer Forum, we are happy to help you.

To generate an OAuth Token, the redirect url within your app should match the one in your code / or the API call that you are making. You can use tools like ngrok to generate public HTTPS URLs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Ojus

The docs say that I don’t need one to test the Zoom API in the Test Request Widget. Why do I need a server running somewhere simply to try out the API?

@simone can you send a screenshot of the error that you are receiving ?

Hi @simone,

I was able to reproduce the issue. I got a 404 error while trying to generate the OAuth Token from my browser.

Can you please clear all your browser cache and cookies, then restart the browser and check if the issue persists? If yes, please send us a screenshot showing the error.

Thanks,
Ojus