Integrate zoom with Eclipse IDE

Description
We are trying to integrate Zoom to our Android app using Eclipse. We want to see if anyone have done this or if there are resources/tutorials on how to do this with Eclipse.

Additional context
The project was created in Eclipse and we are planning to port it to Android Studio. In the meantime, we want to see if we can quickly add Zoom to our app.

Hi ttran,

Thanks for using Zoom SDK. Technically it is possible to use our Android SDK with Eclipse, there are a few tutorials available online, such as: https://gist.github.com/henrybluecats/33d11f7852b2d24157e9820543f88ede. However, we highly recommend using our Android SDK with Android Studio.

You can refer to the following guide to migrate your Eclipse project to Android Studio and integrate Zoom SDK into your project:

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Hi Carson,

We followed the guide and added all the files to our project.
Then we got this error

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn’t find class “us.zoom.videomeetings.R$string” on path: DexPathList[[zip file “/data/app/com.srccodes.android-1/base.apk”],nativeLibraryDirectories=[/data/app/com.srccodes.android-1/lib/arm, /system/fake-libs, /data/app/com.srccodes.android-1/base.apk!/lib/armeabi-v7a, /system/lib, /vendor/lib]]
Failed resolution of: Lus/zoom/videomeetings/R$string;
class java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Any idea what caused this? do we have to include anything else in our project?

Thanks,
ttran

Hi ttran,

Thanks for the reply. Is this error shown after transferring your project from Eclipse to Android Studio or shown when you start a new Android Studio project that integrates our SDK? It looks like there are some issues in your gradle setting. You may refer to the gradle setting here:https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-android/blob/master/mobilertc-android-studio/sample/build.gradle

If you are still getting this error, could you share your gradle setting?

Thanks!

Hi Carson,

We got the error after we add the libraries to our Eclipse project.

Thanks,

Hi ttran,

Thanks for the reply. Our Android SDK does not really support Eclipse (Since Eclipse does not really support aar library), so you might need to use our Android SDK with Android Studio. If you are using our Android SDK with Android Studio, this error should gone away.

Thanks!

Hi Carson,

When we integrate zoom to our project in Android Studio we get the errors bellow
Any idea how we can resolve this?

Android resource linking failed
warn: removing resource com.xxxx.xxxx:string/zm_download_failed without required default value.
warn: removing resource com.xxxx.xxxx:string/zm_mi_play_enter_exit_chime without required default value.
warn: removing resource com.xxxx.xxxx:string/zm_mm_lbl_delete_system_notification without required default value.
warn: removing resource com.xxxx.xxxx:string/zm_system_notification_title without required default value.
{path}\app\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values\values.xml:6855: error: resource android:attr/fontStyle not found.
{path}\app\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values\values.xml:6856: error: resource android:attr/font not found.
{path}\app\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values\values.xml:6857: error: resource android:attr/fontWeight not found.
{path}\app\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values\values.xml:6858: error: resource android:attr/fontVariationSettings not found.
{path}\app\build\intermediates\incremental\mergeDebugResources\merged.dir\values\values.xml:6859: error: resource android:attr/ttcIndex not found.
error: failed linking references.

In our build.gradle file we have these dependencies. Our project needs appcompat-v7:25.4.0

implementation 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:25.4.0'
implementation 'androidx.legacy:legacy-support-v4:1.0.0'
implementation 'androidx.recyclerview:recyclerview:1.0.0'

Hi ttran,

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the latest version of Android SDK(https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-android/releases/tag/v4.4.55130.0712)? In this version, we have added 64-bit support to it, and the dependencies requires the Android project to be a AndroidX project. Therefore, the old Android dependencies won’t work.

You will need to upgrade your project to be a AndroidX project. (It is recommended by Google) and use the AndroidX version of Appcompat “androidx.appcompat”. Here is a tutorial: https://medium.com/google-developer-experts/converting-your-android-app-to-jetpack-85aecfce34d3

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Hi Carson,

After we migrate the project to AndroidX we were able to compile and deploy the app to our test devices.
Thank you for helping us solving this.

Thanks,

Thanks Carson!

We are happy to help @ttran! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Carson/Tommy,

Is there anyway to automatically turn on video of a participant when he/she joins the meeting?

This is my test case

1. A host starts a meeting on a web browser.
  2. A participant joins the meeting on an Android device.
  3. Participant has to wait for host to admit him/her before participant can join the meeting. Is there anyway to just join without having to wait for host admits participant?
  4. After the participant joins the meeting video, participant video is not turn on and host has to send request to participant to turn on video. Is there anyway I can make video turn on automatically upon joining the meeting?

Thanks,
ttran

Hi ttran,

By default, the video is turned on automatically at joining a meeting, unless the user has other configurations. Our SDK respects the configuration in the following order(Highest first):

1. Turn off video by default at the account level
  2. Turn off video by default at the app level, like the options in:https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-android/blob/master/mobilertc-android-studio/sample/src/main/java/us/zoom/sdksample/ui/MeetingSettingActivity.java
  3. Turn off video by default at the pre-meeting config level: https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-android/blob/master/mobilertc-android-studio/sample/src/main/java/us/zoom/sdksample/inmeetingfunction/zoommeetingui/ZoomMeetingUISettingHelper.java

If you would like to ensure that the video is on, you can call the following method after the meeting starts:https://zoom.github.io/zoom-sdk-android/us/zoom/sdk/InMeetingVideoController.html#muteMyVideo-boolean-

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Hi Carson,

InMeetingVideoController.muteMyVideo(false) solved our problem.
Again, thank you for helping us with this.

Thanks,
ttran

Hi Carson,

When users are in the meetings, is there anyway for me to capture the back key press event?

We have an Android device with remote control, and when I press the directional buttons I see it highlighting the bottom menu buttons (audio, video, participants, more). I want to see if I capture key press event when users click back button on the remote control.

Thanks,
ttran

Hi ttran,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding overriding the back key press event, you may refer to my replies here:java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError has been throwed When initialize ZoomSDK

Thanks!

Hi Carson,

I follow the suggestion on that post and I’m able to capture the back key press event.

Thanks,
ttran

Thanks Carson!

Glad your issue was resolved ttran.

-Tommy

Hi Carson/Tommy,

We integrated Zoom into our device and it is working great!
Our guys really impress and they love it.

We just have one more question about customization, oem, white label.
Who should we talk to about this?
Maybe if you guys available we would definitely like to have a quick call to discuss this with you guys.

Thanks,
Thinh Tran

Hey @ttran,

I’m glad you Zoom is working great and you are loving it! :slight_smile:

As for white labeling, you can apply to be a Zoom Reseller Partner.

Otherwise I am happy to answer your questions about customization.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Carson,

We are experiencing a couple issues with Zoom in our Android app.

For some reason the audio says it is connected but the other party can not hear us (I am calling from Android device, the other party is on the laptop).
We can hear the other party clearly, but they can’t hear us.

The second issue is sometime my video is “flashing” during the call. My video showing “static noise” on the call. I see this on my Android device and the other party see it too.

Any idea how we can fix these issues?

Thank you,
ttran