Invalid iCalendar File

Hello,

I would like to interface Zoom announcements to my homemade Perl web calendar.   People send me zoom announcements, and there is an option to download a .ics ( iCalendar ) file.  OK, I figured I'd shoot it off to a script which would parse it and update my calendar's SQL database.

HOWEVER, the files seem to be invalid.
-------------------- snip -------------------
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//zoom.us//iCalendar Event//EN
VERSION:2.0
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
METHOD:PUBLISH
CLASS:PUBLIC
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:America/Los_Angeles
TZURL:http://tzurl.org/zoneinfo-outlook/America/Los_Angeles
X-LIC-LOCATION:America/Los_Angeles
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
TZOFFSETFROM:-0800
TZOFFSETTO:-0700
TZNAME:PDT
DTSTART:19700308T020000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=3;BYDAY=2SU
END:DAYLIGHT
BEGIN:STANDARD
TZOFFSETFROM:-0700
TZOFFSETTO:-0800
TZNAME:PST
DTSTART:19701101T020000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=11;BYDAY=1SU
END:STANDARD
END:VTIMEZONE
END:VCALENDAR
--------------------------------- endsnip ------------------------------------
First of all, there are no “VEVENT” lines. Each event is supposed to be packaged inside a
“BEGIN:VEVENT” and “END:VEVENT” pair. That can be worked around - I could just assume there’s
exactly one event and snarf out the lines that are related to events.

A more serious problem - the dates are wrong:
“DTSTART:19700308T020000” means - something that starts on the 8th of March, 1970. At, I think Two in the morning.

…and there’s a second DTSTART:

DTSTART:19701101T020000 - The first of November, 1970.

I’m not sure if these files are produced by Zoom at all. Maybe my sender is using some other tool?
Also, I am by no means an iCal expert. I just started reading RFC5545 yesterday.

Hi @jerry1,

Thanks for reaching out! Just to make sure we’re on the same page, can I kindly ask for some clarification on what you’re trying to achieve with .ics files in relation to the Zoom API?

To clarify, at the moment, we don’t have an API endpoint that returns a .ics calendar file for a corresponding Zoom Meeting, though is a great suggestion and I’d encourage you to consider posting in #feature-requests.

Thanks!
Will

Thank you, Will. I’m sure you guys are getting tremendously hammered. The ICS files are in emails from other people organizing zoom meetings. I believe they are generated by zoom somehow. The PRODID ( product id ) suggests as much. I’m not sure how these people are generating them.

Hey @jerry1,

Thanks for clarifying—it’s possible this could be related to one of the calendar integrations listed in our Marketplace:

As a next step, I might recommend checking out one of these apps under the ‘calendar’ search. That said, if you’re in a pickle and this isn’t helpful, please let me know!

Best,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.