Joining Zoom via the Shortcuts App (Call to zoomus://zoom.us/join?confno..) do not connect Audio automatically

We are using the Shortcuts Application on iOS and other Calls on mobiles and tablets.

All Zoom Clients are setup to automatically connect Audio in Settings. It has worked fine the whole year but stopped working the last couple of weeks.

Error
Audio do not connect automatically (but is setup correctly in App Settings to automatically connect) when using the link zoomus://zoom.us/join?confno… to join the meeting automatically. This is really disturbing because many older participants do not know how to click “Join Audio” again and therefore missing out on the audio. This worked fine before for months and stopped working.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
I’m using Shortcuts App to call zoomus://zoom.us/join?confno… and so on

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Use zoomus://zoom.us/join?confno… URL to join your meeting
  2. Make sure the Audio connects automatically in settings
  3. You will see that the Audio do NOT connect automatically
  4. You will get forced to choose to connect Audio manually

Screenshots (If applicable)
https://share.getcloudapp.com/o0uq9YZ1 (sorry only in German but it should be clear)

1 Like

Hi @Amos,

It looks like you might be using our Client URL Scheme, which has been deprecated:

The supported way to launch/join a meeting is to use the join_url returned by the API or retrieved via the UI.

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will, thank you for your answer.

I wonder if you can actually generate a join_url returned by the API which will accept the settings in the app and the user do not need to press the microphone accept button.

Is there any way to find out if this works or maybe this is a feature disabled (for privacy or other reasons) by Zoom.

Hi @Amos,

Good question—At the moment, the only way to set the audio or video option automatically is through your Zoom app settings:

Alternatively, this can be done from the settings object when creating a meeting via API.

Best,
Will

I too have successfully been using the deprecated Client URL scheme for shortcuts both for IOS Shortcuts and Android (using Website Shortcut app). I have not been able to get it to work with the join_url that you recommend. Worried that everything will break when the deprecated links don’t work any more.

Suggestions? It really surprises me that there is not an easy way to enable users to join a regular meeting (i.e., same URL every time) via a one-touch shortcut on the phone. We hold zoom church services and I like to set it up so that an elderly person can join the service just by pushing the ‘Church Zoom shortcut’ button on the home screen.

Hi @rick4,

Thanks for sharing this feedback. We do hope to provide more solutions for Client URL Schemes in the future, but I can certainly appreciate where you’re coming from. While the start_url and join_url provided in the Create Meeting API response will be the best option for now, I’d also encourage you to post this feedback in our Feature Requests channel as well, if you’re so inclined (#feature-requests).

Thanks,
Will

Thank you all for your feedback. Somehow it starts to work again, not sure what Zoom has changed.

Thanks for sharing, Amos. Let us know if you run into any additional questions.

Hi Will, now the URL-Schema we call is not working anymore. Why is this disabled by Zoom without supplying an alternative solution to join Meetings via a Link on the iPad? It’s really hard to automate now and many elderly people can NOT use Zoom anymore. That really is a bad customer experience in my opinion.

Hi @Amos ,

Thanks again for sharing this feedback—we’re looking into providing more options for this again at some point in the future. While the start and join URLs will be the best method in the meantime, I do appreciate the impact this can have on different types of end users. If you haven’t yet, I encourage you to submit a feature request for this. #feature-requests

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will, thank you but there is a big issue. When I use the normal join URL.
1.) The URL will expire and therefore will stop working. We are in a curfew and are not allowed to help the elderly who need to use Zoom in person. We have had this before. Please advice how to create a link which will NOT expire.

2.) When we use the link it opens the standard browser and the user need to scroll down (horrible UX) then clicks a button or link again to open Zoom. Honestly this is not usable for elderly people. Please advice how to directly open the Zoom app without this issue going through the browser.

Thank you

Hi @Amos,

The URL will expire and therefore will stop working. We are in a curfew and are not allowed to help the elderly who need to use Zoom in person. We have had this before. Please advice how to create a link which will NOT expire.

You can retrieve a refreshed start_url from the GET Meeting API:
https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/meetings/meeting

2.) When we use the link it opens the standard browser and the user need to scroll down (horrible UX) then clicks a button or link again to open Zoom. Honestly this is not usable for elderly people. Please advice how to directly open the Zoom app without this issue going through the browser.

Thank you for the feedback. To clarify, if the Zoom Client is installed, the browser will prompt the Zoom Client to open (this browser message can be dismissed after the first time). If the Zoom Client isn’t installed, the browser will prompt the user to install Zoom or launch in the Web Client.

Having said that, I can certainly appreciate your use case for needing a better solution. I’m happy to advocate for this internally, and encourage you to post your own feature request as well.

Thanks,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.