Link Previews in Zoom Team Chat

I apologize if this is not the right place (or category) to ask these questions—Zoom’s Tier I and II Support Engineers were not able to assist and directed me to this forum. I greatly appreciate any/all assistance!

Background Info: Our organization uses Zoom Team Chat for the majority of all ongoing, informal communication between-and-within departments. In particular, our Web Team frequently uses Team Chat to send hyperlinks to other departments to get feedback on recent changes and updates to pages on various websites.

Questions: When a link is posted is within Team Chat, what specific HTML content (tags or elements) is being used to populate the “link preview” that is displayed to recipients? Related: we have noticed that the preview content seems to be cached—does that cache happen on a per-client basis or is it Zoom-wide—and is there a way to “dump the cache” or refresh, as one might do within the context of a web browser?

1 Like

Hi @cgriffith
Thanks for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum and welcome to our community!
I am happy to look into this for you.
Allow me some time to reach out to the Chat Team so I can provide you with more details on this!
Best,
Elisa

1 Like

We really appreciate it, Elisa!

Regards,
cgriffith

Hi @elisa.zoom — just checking in again to see if any new information is available. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
-cgriffith

Hi @cgriffith
Thanks for your patience, I have engaged with a couple of colleagues about this and I am still gathering information for you.
I will come back with an update soon.
Thanks a lot
Elisa

Hi @cgriffith
Thank you for your patience while I worked with our Engineering team to get you some answers about this.
Here is some information that might help you clarify your issues:

1. When a link is posted within Team Chat, what specific HTML content is being used to populate the “link preview” that is displayed to recipients?

Link preview usually consists of 4 parts: a page icon picture on the left, a title on the top, a few lines of page content in the middle, and the site name at the bottom.

1. Does that cache happen on a per-client basis or is it Zoom-wide?

The cache is built up zoom-wide. Or more accurately: zoom domain-wide.

1. Is there a way to “dump the cache” or refresh, as one might do within the context of a web browser?

Unfortunately no. Our preview cache gets refreshed automatically after 24 hours. But it’s not under the direct control of the chat user.

I hope this information is helpful and again, thanks so much for your patience.
Best,
Elisa

1 Like

Appreciate your help and persistence with this inquiry, Elisa! I have relayed the information to my team.

Have a great day,
cgriffith

2 Likes

Of course ! @cgriffith
Feel free to reach out to us if you need anything else
Best
Elisa

1 Like

Can you provide some information about link to file in chat? I can see that if a text message contains http:// or https:// prefix it becomes a link, but if it contains file:// it remains plain text.