Live recurring meeting: start_time bug

Description
Here is what I did: I scheduled a recurring meeting (type 8) with 3 occurences. The meeting is ‘live’, i.e. ongoing. Using the API I get the ‘upcoming’ and ‘live’ meetings.

Error
Requesting the ‘upcoming’ meetings all three scheduled meeting occurrences are returned as expected. Requesting ‘live’ meetings, only one meeting occurrence is returned. However, the start_time of this occurrence is the start_time of the last of the scheduled occurrences, NOT the start time of the currently ongoing meeting.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?
/v2/users/{user}/meetings

Hey @sboeser,

Thanks for reaching out about this—while this can be a bit confusing at first, this is expected behavior.

The List Meetings endpoint is designed such that the last occurrence of a recurring meeting will be the only occurrence returned.

To retrieve all occurrences, you can first use the same initial List Meetings call. Then, I recommend grabbing the last occurrence of the recurring meeting in question and:

First, fetching all occurrences:
https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/{recurringMeetingId}

… and then fetch a specific occurrence:
https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/{recurringMeetingId}?occurrence_id={specificOccurrenceId}

I hope this helps to clarify, but let me know if you have questions about this.

Best,
Will

Dear Will,

thanks a lot for the clarification. I agree that this “feature” is quite a bit confusion, since requesting “upcoming” meetings does return all (live and future) occurrences. So, one would expect the “live” query to return occurrences that are ongoing. Maybe this should be documented somewhere?

In either way, I don’t see how the strategy you describe will provide me with the occurrenceID of the meeting that is live? How would I know which of the occurrences is the live one? The status string always seems to have the value available. No matter if the meeting is ongoing or not…

Thanks a lot,
Sebastian

Hey @sboeser,

Thanks for clarifying, and my apologies for missing that in your initial question. If you wish to retrieve live meetings, the best option would be our List Meetings/Dashboard API:

Note that this requires a Business or higher plan. Another option could be to leverage our Meeting Started webhook, to know when meetings are in progress:

Let me know if this helps!

Best,
Will

Dear Will,
indeed - this will work!
Thanks,
Sebastian

Glad this helps, @sboeser! :slight_smile:

Best,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.