Participants api for past is returning 3001 code

Description
I am using Participant metrics api to keep track on meeting participants. For this I am using below api:
https://api.zoom.us/v2/metrics/meetings/*********/participants?type=past&page_size=

I am calling this API on the meeting end (webhook).

After your recent release, most of the time this API is returning 404.

{
    "code": 3001,
    "message": "Meeting does not exist: ************."
}

Meeting do exist, we recently attended it and received the webhook response on the meeting end, still, we are getting 404. I also tried type=live but the response was the following:

{
    "page_count": 0,
    "page_size": ***,
    "total_records": 0,
    "next_page_token": "",
    "participants": []
}

Please tell me why we are getting this response?

I hope you can reproduce it at your end.

Thanks.

Hey @namrata,

Are you passing in a meeting id or meeting UUID? If it is a meeting UUID please share it so I can debug.

Thanks,
Tommy

I am passing the meeting Id. Please accept my apologies that I forgot to mention and this API is not always returning 404. The exact case is like this:

1. We end the meeting
  2. Get the webhook event
  3. Call participant API
  4. The result is 404 (Most meetings return 404 although the meeting has ended)
  5. Schedule the call after 30 mins
  6. Some times we do get the response, some times 404 (Some meetings return the data but some don’t)

I am sharing the example meeting id where I am getting 404 now but it may possible that when you will try to call the API, you will get the correct result.

Meeting Id - ***********

There were some examples where we got the 404 response and I check the API on Postman with both “live” and “past” type, but the response was as I shared in my first post.

So, I request you to please investigate and help us with this point.

Thanks

*This post has been edited to remove any meeting / webinar IDs

Hey @namrata,

I see that on 2020-07-09 03:30:07(GMT) that meeting only had 1 person, the host. In order for the meeting reports and metric to work, there needs to be more than 1 person in the meeting.

Thanks,
Tommy

I agree, but in that case the response should be a blank array, not 404.

Hey @namrata,

Thanks for your feedback! :slight_smile: We will consider updating the error message and status code.

-Tommy

Thanks. I have a question regarding this point. Suppose all participant left the meeting and only host left. Now host choose Leave Meeting instead of End Meeting. Now what will be the state of the meeting and which type will return the participant response to us . live or past?

Hey @namrata,

If there are no more participants in the meeting and the meeting is over the scheduled duration time, it will change to past in ~5 to 30ish minutes.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks for your reply. What if the host started the meeting through web SDK and closed the browser window without leave or end … this kind of meeting will end after 5 to 30 mins post end time? I am trying to identify the case where you shared that my meeting had only the host and no participant. Because this meeting was attended by all the participants.

"I see that on 2020-07-09 03:30:07(GMT) that meeting only had 1 person, the host. "

I hope my query is clear. Please clarify the situation.

Hey @namrata,

If the host started the meeting through the Web SDK and was the only person in it, and then left, and no one else joined for the duration of the meeting, then the meeting will have the same affect.

Our logs indicated that the meeting has only the host in it. Can you reproduce this issue with multiple participants in the meeting and send me the meetingID so I can investigate further?

Thanks,
Tommy

The word left is confusing. You can try this for participant to . they are not clicking on left or end, they are just closing the browser window. About single host case, I will share any example meeting id ASAP.

Hello Tommy,

As you asked I am sharing the recent example. The meeting id is.

I was the host, 2 to 4 participants attended this meeting. This took approx 10 mins to return the desired result. I tried 3 to 4 times and I was getting 3001.

Hey @namrata,

Thanks for the info. During peak times the 10 minute delay is expected, that being said, we are working on improving this.

-Tommy