Random user becomes host if the real host is forced to leave (ex: network disconnection/crash)

I’ve found an undesired behavior when hosting a meeting, and I’m not sure if it depends on some setting that can be changed when creating a meeting via API.

Suppose a user creates a meeting, then he joins as host. Other participants join using the non-login join link. If the host leaves the meeting for several reasons (network goes down, application crashes, etc) a random user will become host and be able to mute/kick people out of the meeting or disrupt the meeting in other ways.
Moreover if the original host rejoins the meeting, he’ll not be able to regain his role until the previous connection is kicked out due to timeout.

I think this is a serious problem, in particular if a random user can become host and have rights on other participants.

Can this behavior be avoided with some setting when creating the meeting?

Thanks!

Hi @bragma, I’ll need to check if this is configurable, if not I’ll work with our Product team to get this into our roadmap.

Hey @bragma,

We are aware of this and our product team has been planning a solution. (ZOOM-147716)

Thanks,
Tommy

2 Likes

Thanks, where can I check the state of ZOOM-147716?

Hey @bragma,

Here is the solution we have implemented thus far:

If the host gets disconnected, another user on your Zoom account who is in the meeting will get assigned the host. You can also specify a co host to a trusted participant in the case where there is no other user present on your account.

We are working on a feature where if there are no co hosts or account users present in the meeting, and the host gets disconnected, then everyone in the meeting will be moved into a waiting room until the host re joins. (ZOOM-151680)

Since this is a product enhancement, stay updated here:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/201214205-Release-Notes

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Thanks. Out of curiosity, can’t you just switch to a situation where there are no hosts at all? It seems this is what happens when you allow participants to join before host.

1 Like

Another question: supposing I am the host and I get disconnected, another random user becomes the host. If I rejoin as a host, can I get back my host status? Can I force the “new random host” to give me back the claim (how to do that in iOS/Android/Desktop SDK)?

Thanks!

I’m watting for this - “then everyone in the meeting will be moved into a waiting room until the host re joins” …

1 Like

Hey @bragma,

Thanks for the suggestion, we are currently looking into the best solution.

When the host re joins the meeting, the host will regain the host status.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks @Bonfante,

Since this will be a product release, it will be posted here once completed:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/201214205-Release-Notes

Thanks,
Tommy

Are they expecting a solution soon? We’ve had problems where the teacher/host has lost his connection and a student became the host…chaos ensued! I like the idea of moving participants back into the waiting room when this situation occurs.

Hi Tommy, do you have an eta on this fix? I volunteer at a few schools and while they love the zoom platform the lack of host control post crash is a blocker to using zoom in the younger grades.

Hey @terry1, @betsy.bevilacqua,

I do not have an ETA on this. Due note this is a product feature request which you can submit directly here: zoom.us/feed.

This forum is for Zoom App Marketplace questions / support.

Thanks,
Tommy

If there are multiple co-hosts and the host leaves the meeting (internet disconnects, power outage, etc.) which co-host becomes the host? Can this be configurable?

Hey @d0paminefiend,

One of the Co-Host will become Host. Currently we don’t have a feature to configure who becomes the Co Host.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy - we are also running into this. This seems critical from security perspective. It should be given high priority.

Why can’t the meeting simply continue without a host? I.e. I can configure the meeting to allow participants to enter the meeting before the hosts, isn’t it the same situation as if the host just gets disconnected?

Hey @rakesh1,

Please see my comment above:

@bragma, feel free to ask this to our product team at support.zoom.us. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

I ran into the same problem. It’s been 4 days in a roll now, somehow I was being disconnected, then when I join back in, the student is the host, and if they don’t want to grant me the host, there’s nothing I can do, and if they mute me, I couldn’t even unmute myself. So I wonder if there’s a solutions for this kind of situation.
I was told there was a time when the host being disconnected, all the participants will be sent to waiting room.

Hey @R2S_Academy,

Please bring this up with support.zoom.us, they can better assist.

Thanks,
Tommy