Random user becomes host if the real host is forced to leave (ex: network disconnection/crash)

Can’t “they” create a setting option to move all participants into the waiting room until the host rejoins? Just the way it is before the host starts the meeting? This really is a critical piece for teachers to be able to safely use this application with students and monitor. Thanks for working on this!

Hey @mariah.tidwell,

That is the proposed solution to our team. However, since this is on the product side, please use support.zoom.us.

Thanks,
Tommy

I don’t understand what you mean to visit support.zoom.us? That looks like a site for me to find help and tips. I don’t need tips if this feature isn’t available. Is there a place there for me to put in a request for this feature/setting to be added to share my concern?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOTE: Email is provided to employees for the instructional and administrative needs of the district. Email correspondence to/from a district email account may be considered public information and subject to release under Georgia laws or pursuant to subpoena. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outlook-4ryxx5gd.jpg

Hey @mariah.tidwell,

Apologies for the confusion. To reach out to our product team about this, you can go to this page to contact them: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362003

Thanks,
Tommy

Cautiously optimistic. In most recent (Aug 23, 2020) release notes, the Zoom Room has gained this functionality, to an extent:

The Zoom Room will now automatically become co-host if it was originally scheduled as the host of the meeting and joined after the alternative host, or if the Zoom Room rejoins the meeting after assigning a different host.

Thanks for sharing @cligre! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

I’m curious if there has been any further development in this? I looked through the most recent zoom update forms and don’t see anything. Does anyone have tips for how to deal with a teacher getting disconnected and leaving a zoom class full of children unsupervised? It would be really helpful if they just went into a waiting room.

We are concerned for the same reason — when a teacher drops out, a student is made the host at random, and this is not good for every reason imaginable. Automatic waiting room seems the best solution. I hope Zoom dev team has this particular use case on their radar…

Hey @enabeti, @cligre,

We are working on a feature where if there are no co hosts or account users present in the meeting, and the host gets disconnected, then everyone in the meeting will be moved into a waiting room until the host re joins. (ZOOM-151680)

Since this is a product enhancement, stay updated here:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/201214205-Release-Notes

For additional questions regarding this feature, please reach out to support.zoom.us.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hey @bragma , and everyone,

You can now move participants to the waiting room if the host dropped unexpectedly. You can read more about this feature here:

Thanks,
Tommy