Receiving in meeting chat messages (iOS) overhead

Hi,
I am trying to implement a solution where in a room with 40 people (max), every client will send a chat message every 5 seconds. So every user will receive about 40 messages every 5 seconds and I am wondering if this may cause high usage on any resource (cpu, network, battery life).
I’m not expecting any mayor problem if the messages are handled locally, while it may be a problem if the code to receive a message body (meetingChatByID method) requires access to an external resource/service, ex: Zoom REST API.

- (void)onInMeetingChat:(NSString *)messageID
{
    MobileRTCMeetingService *ms = [[MobileRTC sharedRTC] getMeetingService];
    NSLog(@"In Meeting Chat:%@ content:%@", messageID, [ms meetingChatByID:messageID]);
}

In particular I am puzzled because the Android SDK returns the message directly, with iOS uses a messageID and a call to another class method to get the actual message.

Thanks!

Hi bragma,

Thanks for the post. Yes, the design for this feature is a little bit different on Android and on iOS. I will consult the engineering team regarding this design. However, I believe this won’t cause any high usage on any resource and no related issues/concerns has been raised up regarding this before. Could you elaborate a little bit more about your concern so that we could better address and help?

Thanks!

I was a bit worried because of the double call. If the internal implementation as an example made an http call to zoom API it would not work. Our idea is to use the chat to share telemetry among participants.

Hi bragma,

Thanks for the reply. I understand, I will forward this to the engineering team for investigation. But I am afraid the current interfaces could not change or do not have any alternative way to enhance that in the SDK you are using.

Thanks!