Screen sharing doesn't share audio from child processes

Description

I recently upgraded my Zoom SDK version from 5.7.6.1079 to 5.11.4.7235. My app is a Windows WPF app written in C#. Part of the functionality is to share videos, which is achieved by launching VLC, then starting screen sharing. This has always worked fine.

Last night, I found that the audio wasn’t sharing properly. The audio was coming through my local speakers fine, but wasn’t being shared. More details in troubleshooting.

Which Windows Meeting SDK version?

5.7.6.1079 and 5.11.4.7235 - having downgraded from 5.11.4.7235 back to 5.7.6.1079, the same issue came up. So I don’t think it’s actually an SDK upgrade issue - but I wonder whether in changing SDK version, some setting changed.

Troubleshooting Routes

It looks like the problem is caused by VLC being a child process of my SDK app.

If I launch VLC manually while sharing the screen, the audio is fine.

If I launch VLC via a “trampoline” (where I launch one process which does nothing but launch VLC in the same way) the audio is fine.

If I launch VLC directly as a child process, its audio is not shared. (It’s audible locally, but not shared.)

I can’t find anything in the audio or screen sharing settings that would affect this.

To reiterate: this used not to be a problem, on the same system. I don’t know what’s changed. I can use the “trampoline” idea as a workaround for now, but I’d really like to understand what’s going on. Does the Zoom SDK deliberately try to “ignore” audio from its own child processes, and is there a way of disabling that behavior?

Device (please complete the following information):

• Device: SurfaceBook 2
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.