Syntax to join Zoom meeting, as an iOS Configurator 2 Web Clip

Context: Trying to create one-touch Join Zoom Meeting icons for iPads that will be provided to isolated tech-challenged seniors to help them make it through the current COVID crisis.

Using Apple Configurator 2 I can create custom “Web Clip” icons that launch a particular Zoom meeting via the Safari browser. But the user then has to allow Safari to open Zoom, and then has to select Computer Audio. I would far prefer that the icons be truly one touch.

Webclip icons can launch many other apps and pass parameters using a URI (like a URL). I am hoping that I can pass in the meeting ID and password similarly to Zoom. And ideally I would also like to force computer audio so that the user does not have to choose that each time.

Has anybody done that?

I am a retired developer of embedded software. My available development platform is Xcode in Mac OS Catalina. I can write something using the Zoom SDK if I have to. But my learning curve would really slow things down, and I want to get these iPads set up and in the hands of users as soon as I can. The webclip route should be much more efficient IF it is possible to launch Zoom with a URI.

Hi @aquirt,

Thanks for the post and thanks for sharing the idea. Based on Apple’s doc, it seems like the web clip URL created in Apple Configurator 2 is pre-defined so there is not too much flexibility here.

If you would like to trigger the Zoom client, you could consider forming an URL by following the URL scheme guide:https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/guides/guides/client-url-schemes. However, there are many roadblocks by using this way, such as the one you are mentioning. The feature “Using URL/deep links to launch applications” has changed a lot for different browsers as well.

Using Zoom SDK will be more feasible for your use case, it is more flexible and it could provide a one-touch experience for your users. The implementation in our demo app could be helpful if you would like to see a working demo that provides one-click join meeting experience:https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-ios

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Thanks Carson for this suggestion. I am hoping to come up with a workflow that others can use who are not programmers. If I need to make a “shim” app that others can use to invoke Zoom usefully, that may be a good route.

The first thing I am trying to figure out is why it is possible to join a Zoom meeting via a webclip using a standard Zoom URL (which includes encrypted password), but when I open the very same URL in Safari Apple’s Shortcuts app, it opens Zoom but appears not to pass in the meeting ID and password. I would rather use Shortcuts because it has much more flexibility to apply logic and have multiple steps.

I have joined GitHub but have not yet viewed your example.

Hi @aquirt,

Thanks for the reply. I understand. If you would like to use URL scheme to interact with the Zoom client, then I am afraid I am not the best person to speak with since I do not have the visibilities to the situation in the Zoom client. You may provide feedback to https://zoom.us/feed or try to contact Zoom client support at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new and one of the Zoom experts will be happy to assist you.

Thank you!

Thanks Carson.

Having trouble getting logged back in under the same user ID I used last time. Not quite sure what I am doing wrong, but it keeps wanting me to create a new developer account with a new user ID. And I apparently can’t use either my personal or business zoom account ID here though I thought it worked last time. Anyhow, at least at the moment I am in though probably as a different user.

The URL schemes you referred me to were very helpful. I was able to make a one touch “webclip” icon open Zoom directly without going through Safari. I do have to give permission each time to open the URL in Zoom. I doubt that Apple’s security rules will let me bypass that. step.

I used the syntax zoomus://zoom.us/join?confno=123456789&pwd=xxxx

Hi @alquirt,

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear that you have made it work well. Happy Zooming! :slight_smile:

In the end, we have abandoned the URI syntax.

It does provide a smoother path to opening a recurring Zoom meeting IF the user chooses to proceed with opening Zoom. Unfortunately if the user cancels instead of proceeding, the web browser ends up in a state where it will no longer accept the URI syntax. The user must quit the browser before the URI syntax will be accepted again. This seems to be inherent in the way that the browser is invoked in the background. For our users (isolated seniors with little tech experience) this just does not work.

We have gone back to using the standard Zoom URL syntax in our webclips. It works every time, and it is easier for us to just copy and paste standard links with no need to edit into a different syntax.

Hi @alquirt,

Glad to hear from you and thanks for sharing this. :slight_smile: