Use JWT App to post message on the Zoom channels

Team, Our usecase is to send alerts/notification messages to different zoom channels from our Java Application. So, We created a JWT app on zoom marketplace with the intention to post the messages to the channels. But I couldn’t find the API which takes the JWT token to post the message.

Could you please share me the REST API for the same ? I see there is a chatbot-app option. But our usecase is simple, we don’t need a two-way communication with the user or any other functionality. We just need to post a message (one-way). Is this feasible through JWT app?

Hi @Mythili,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

To clarify, JWT does not support sending a chat message to a Zoom channel. This will require OAuth/Chatbot app type. Using a Chatbot app, you can authorize requests to this API:

Thanks,
Will

Hi @will.zoom ,

Thanks for the clarification. Would like to seek one more clarification. As our usecase is to post message on our customers’ zoom channels , We would need the channel id to post the message. Is there a way to get the channel id/link manually ? ( not through API)

Hi @Mythili,

I’m afraid there’s not a way to retrieve Channel IDs from the UI that I’m aware of. This would require you to leverage one of our Chat Channel endpoints, such as:

Thanks,
Will

Hi @will.zoom ,

Thanks again for the response. Does this mean the users have to create oAuth app (to use oAuth token) even to fetch the channel ids?

Hi @Mythili,

That’s correct. However, you could create 1 account-level OAuth App which would be authorized by an account Admin or Owner, and this would grant you an access_token that could authorize requests on behalf of any user under the account.

Thanks,
Will

@will.zoom

Thanks for your reply.

I tried creating a “Chatbot” in Zoom MarketPlace.I have created only for “Development Phase”. (I’m yet to publish in PROD) and I have clicked on “install” as well. I’m facing below issues. could you help?

1. I tried using “DEV” credentials (Base64 encoding) to get the bearer token , by referring - https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/chatbot-messages/sendchatbot
    But , I get the error “Invalid client_id or client_secret”. Is there any other API should be used for “DEV” bots? what could be reason?

2. As I mentioned in the above comments , My BOT is going to be a one-way communication. i.e. Only BOT can post message on zoom channels. Users shouldn’t contact BOT. In this case , Is it still needed to to mention the valid End-point URL for BOT? can it be any dummy URL?

Hey @Mythili,

I’m happy to help out here!

When it comes to using Chat Bot credentials to make an OAuth request, you’ll want to make sure that you are installing and authorize the OAuth portion separately. We have more information on this at the following URL:

You’ll want to make sure the endpoint always returns a 200 OK status.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

@MaxM ,

Thanks for the Reply.

I have followed the same approach which is been mentioned in https://devsupport.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360060332891-How-to-get-a-Chatbot-Token to get the token. please refer the attached snapshot. I can share my BOT details and credentials in private if needed. Could you pls help?

Hey Mythili,

To share any private details, please submit a ticket through our Developer Support Center and include a link to this thread.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks @MaxM .

I have raised https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/12638982

Hey @Mythili,

Thank you! I’m still working to test this on my end and will follow up with you in the ticket.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.