Video SDK local video rotating Samsung devices

Description
Whenever I connect to a participant using Video SDK in Samsung phones, my local video gets distorted and rotated. My app is portrait mode always.

Which Android Video SDK version?
I am using Zoom video SDK 1.8.5. In the earlier version, it was working fine.

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
Can be found easily on any Samsung device when i connect with participant using Video SDK

Screenshots
Attaching a screenshot of both the participant and host

Smartphone (please complete the following information):

• Issue Device: Samsung M13 5G (Almost all Samsung devices)

• Supporting Device (No Issue): [Google Pixel 3A]

i also facing this issues please help

Hi @anupam24,

Can I check if you are currently giving a fixed portrait screen orientation under your AndroidManifest.xml? Also, you can also choose to manually rotate the camera by using our Android VSDK’s ZoomInstantSDKVideoHelper class that consist of the rotateMyVideo(int rotation) method. For more information, you can refer to reference documentation here.

Thank you.

Hi @boonjun.tan
Here I mentioned orientation to portrait already. I also put the below code for rotateMyVideo but it still same result.

public void setVideoOrientation() {
        Display display = ((WindowManager) getSystemService(Service.WINDOW_SERVICE)).getDefaultDisplay();
        int displayRotation = display.getRotation();
        if (videoHelper != null) {
            Log.e(TAG, "displayRotation " + displayRotation);
            videoHelper.rotateMyVideo(displayRotation);
        }
    }

Hi @anupam24,

What was the log statement for the displayRotation after getting it from the systemService?

The log says - display rotation is 0

Hi @anupam24,

Can I also check when exactly are you calling your setVideoOrientation method and also the result for the line “videoHelper.rotateMyVideo(displayRotation);”. In addition, can you also send me the Zoom’s log to a shared storage (e.g. Google Drive) for me to download and view?

Thank you.

I call setVideoOreinatation on onStart() and onCreate() .

I am not getting any Log files on my device. Below line already implemented in my code while initialize Zoom.
params.enableLog = true; this

Hi @boonjun.tan
Here is the link for Log File-

Hi @anupam,

Thank you. We will investigate the log sent and get back to you once we find the issue.

@anupam24,

We have viewed the log but it seems like the logs given are too short and we don’t see any logs for rotation-related events.

We will like to request you to follow the steps below:

1. Join a session as per usual,
  2. Stay in the session for 5-10 seconds and during this time the rotation event should also be happening in your code,
  3. Leave the session,
  4. Wait for a moment for the log to be generated and retrieve the log.

You can then send me the log again via Google drive.

Thank you.

Hi @Boon Jun Tan

I will send you a new log but before that, I just want to make sure that we developed the app for portrait mode only so we do not rotate devices while Video Calls.

Hi @anupam24,

Yes, I understood and thanks for confirming on that. I will wait for your logs and video to investigate further.

Thank you.

Hi @Boon Jun Tan

Here is the new log for Video Calling.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Hw63O0BdflnQz6SCWa1L9-XR83DkDJN/view?usp=sharing

Hi @anupam24,

Can we also get the APK and which other Samsung model other than Samsung M13 5G is having this issue?

Lastly, have you tried running our Android sample app on the Samsung devices that have experienced issues running your application with our Video SDK and see if the same rotation issue is reproducible?

Thank you.

What do you mean by APK setting? I am facing an issue with the Samsung S22 device also.
No, I did not try running the Android Sample app on any Samsung device. Can you provide APK link?

Hi @anupam24,

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to request your app APK so that on our end we can try to reproduce the issue.

Our Video SDK sample app is also located inside the Video SDK zip file and for more information you can refer to this link here.

Thank you.

Hi @Boon Jun Tan

Removed confidential information

Hi @Boon Jun Tan

Before you use app, I have some instruction to follow so that it does not affect our current users.

1. When you login as client, you need to make a request therapist for a session.
  2. You can go to Saved Therapist or Session History menu. (See Attachment)
  3. Click on Hire Now button. It will send request to Therapist and you need to accept on other device which has Therapist Login.
  4. Therapist will Accept request and client will confirm his side then Video Session will start.

Hi @anupam24,

I have removed the confidential information you sent earlier. Let me check with my engineers again on this and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.