Web SDK 1.7.5 - Rename other user

I’m trying to rename another user whilst being the co-host using the .rename() method. Is this possible? Or do you need to be the host to re-name from the Web SDK.

Thanks in advance

Hey @tmb,

Only the host can rename other participants.

Also, double check you have the allow participants to rename themselves setting turned on:

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy Weird, that contradicts what the docs here say: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360040324512-Roles-in-a-meeting

Is this a Web SDK thing or does Zoom overall not allow it?

Hey @tmb,

Some features on the Zoom Web Client are not on the Web SDK.

Are you seeing an error when trying to rename an attendee as the co host?

Thanks,
Tommy

Not sure about @tmb but when as co-host I try to rename using the web SDK 1.7.5 I get no error, but the user is never renamed. using the userId and userName from calling getAttendeeslist

When running rename as host or co-host it fails to rename the user

Edit:
In diving into the web SDK source and enabling debug mode… at least part of the issue is the call to this.zmg_isMeetingHost(e, "rename") returns false for co-host, meaning only a host can rename. In addition, even as a host that per the debug output I get a success callback

--- succesCallBack ---
zoomus-websdk.umd.min.js:10517 {method: "rename", status: true, errorCode: 0, errorMessage: null, result: null}

The user is still never renamed

Update #2

The rename call exposed by the Rename method of the SDK are not in fact on in the same. The rename method in the SDK as of 1.7.6 calls with params of

id: e.detail.userId,
    dn: e.detail.newName,
    olddn: e.detail.oldName

when it needs to call with params:

id: e.detail.userId,
    dn2: i.Base64.encodeURI(e.detail.newName),
    olddn2: i.Base64.encodeURI(e.detail.oldName)

This is still in addition to the bug where co-hosts can not rename

Hey @mattapperson,

Can you private message me your Web SDK signature so I can debug the rename issue?

Thanks,
Tommy

What is there to debug? I took your SDK, de-minified it. Made the above changes. Plus removed the host check in the code. Now it works. So a signature is not needed to debug. If it does, that would mean the host/co-host check is client side only… this would be terrifying.

Hey @mattapperson,

With your signature, I can decode it to find information like the meetingID, your JWT API Key, timestamp, and role so I can debug further. The host / co host check is not client side. :slight_smile: The signature is just an easy way for the Zoom team to debug / reproduce issues.

Happy to hear you got it working though! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like