What in meeting features are controllable by the "in meeting" controls endpoint /live_meetings/{meetingId}/events

I’m interested in using this endpoint to control in meeting events programmatically however the description of what this endpoint can do isn’t entirely clear to me.

The description states the following from the docs: https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/methods/#operation/inMeetingControl

Use this API to control in-meeting features. In-meeting controls include starting and stopping a recording, pausing and resuming a recording, and inviting participants.

Are these all the controls that one can control or is it possible to control all meeting controls that are cloud based and the user has the permissions to do such as muting participants, posting to the in meeting chat, removing participants, setting up breakout rooms etc.?

I have two requests:
Would it be possible to have a list of the actual methods that can be passed in documented with options?

• “recording.start”
  • “foo:bah”
  • “foo:etc.”

My other request is if the methods available are only “starting and stopping a recording, pausing and resuming a recording, and inviting participants”, would it be possible to expose a more comprehensive set of methods via this endpoint?

The ability to control meeting events server to server via an oauth application would enable much more seamless integration at lower complexity with third party apps and I think separate concerns between meeting management and meeting participation more elegantly.

Hi @jonathan.crockett ,

Good call out! I believe our docs are undergoing some changes as it was previously there before. We are working to fix asap.

The methods are:
“recording.start”
“recording.stop”
“recording.pause”
“recording.resume”
“participant.invite”
“participant.invite.callout”
“participant.invite.room_system_callout”

1 Like

Thank you Gianni. I’m glad this is helpful.

As to my second question, do you have any insight into why these are the only methods available? These are limited in scope to only a couple of functions for controls in a live meeting and ideally most of the the meeting controls would be available through this endpoint.

I assume there are other live meeting controls that are not exposed such as the ones in this menu below. These are methods that are affect the meeting for all participants so must at some point be sent from the native zoom clients to zooms server.

There are other ways of triggering some of this functionality in various APIs but the ways to do so are not uniform and often very difficult to implement. The same goes for listening for these events.

Hi @jonathan.crockett ,

Thank you for your feedback. This is just what is available via API at this time, but I’m happy to inquire about further in-meeting controls on your behalf.

Could you please list all the ones you’d like to see available via this endpoint?

Best,
Gianni

Thank you @gianni.zoom . Here are a number of abilities that I currently need but do not have access to via these endpoints.

In Meeting chat pub/sub:
As a user I need my third party app to send messages to and receive messages from users in a meeting so that I can efficiently multitask and manage the meeting with my third party app.

Currently there is a hook for when a chat message is sent ( I can listen to), however, no way to actually send a chat message programatically. I assume this is to prevent abuse of such a feature, however, the ability to programmatically converse with users is a must have for meeting management. Having this ability server to server is orders of magnitude simpler than having to implement in the various client app apis.

Exists

Need to exist:

With this one endpoint it would enable me to create a meeting chatbot to listen to and respond to users via a method that they are already accustomed. It would be the server-to-server equivalent of the meeting bot chat functionality that already exists.

In Meeting User Reaction:
As a user I need my third party app to respond to user “hand raise/hand lower” and other emoji reaction events so that I can take appropriate action via my third party app.

In Meeting Active Speaker Change events
As a user I need my third party app to respond to active speaker change events so that I can analyze speaking time in my meetings.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any clarifying questions.

Thank you @jonathan.crockett , this is very helpful!

This topic was automatically closed 368 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.