Zoom bot to record and transcribe meetings

Description

We want to implement functionality to automatically record and transcribe meetings for our app’s users. Multiple apps such as Grain, Gong and Otter use a bot for this purpose.

However, based on our research into the Zoom developer documentation and forum, this use-case isn’t directly supported. This is being supported through turnarounds/hacks such as emulating Zoom programmatically.
Based on the following discussion in the Zoom developer forum, Zoom is actively looking at this issue: Zoom bot to record meetings - #2 by SU-community. @MaxM stated that he is “tracking down a list of best practices when it comes to transcription apps”.

It will be great to know the best way to go about implementing the desired functionality. I have already sent an email to developer support.

Looking forward to hearing from you, team.

3 Likes

Hey @analyticalmonk,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. I’m currently working with our engineering team to implement an API to simplify this process.

I’m also working to publish a document covering this process. As it is changing, I’ll update you ASAP with a link to the more information.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Thanks for the update and taking this up. Is there a timeline estimate for the API’s release? This will be good to know since my team will have to take a call on the implementation method based on this.

Also, is this issue addressed in any manner by the recent Zoom Apps’ release? From what I understand, that isn’t generally available for developers yet either.

Hey @analyticalmonk,

I don’t have a timeline on this just yet but I’ll update you here when I have more information. (ZOOM-299016)

Thanks,
Max

2 Likes

My company is also very much interested in building out a transcription bot. We already transcribe calls via phone number dial in, but a deeper integration would be preferable.

1 Like

Hey @jhorman,

Thank you for sharing your interest. I’m working on a guide for this and am hoping to have it ready in the next couple of weeks. I’ll update you here when it’s ready.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @MaxM,

Just checking in about the guide’s status.

Hey @analyticalmonk,

I’m not quite done with the guide but I’ll update this thread when I am.

Thanks,
Max

2 Likes

Hi @MaxM,

Thank you for taking this on. Do you happen to have an update on this?

Nic

Not yet, my apologies. I’ve been in the process of freeing up my time to be able to finish this project and tackle others. I’ll update this with good news ASAP.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM Do you by chance have a high-level timeline you’re working towards? Is ASAP like a few weeks, a couple of months, or 4+ months? We would really appreciate any high-level timeline, understanding it is not a hard date or anything.

It is helpful for us to know as it will make us better informed on our approach (e.g. going with livestream feature first or something else).

Hey @vienoolesen,

I can definitely appreciate the need for this guide. I’m done with most testing and haven’t seen movement on feature requests that are submitted so I’m ready to move forward with outlining the guide and writing it up.

I’m tentatively shooting to have it done by the end of the month if not sooner. If you have any questions in the meantime please submit a ticket and I’ll do my best to assist.

Thanks,
Max

This means the bot will also join the Zoom meeting.

Hey @ary,

In most cases, yes, but it’s only briefly in order to obtain the proper information for closed captioning.

Thanks,
Max

I’m also waiting for this guide.
and have a question:

If we simulate a real user’s behavior, add it to the meeting as the recorder and record and stream audio/video of the meeting from the machine that this simulated recorder user, to our server, Would it be ok by you?
something like grain.co or https://fireflies.ai/ doign.

Hey @mfarimani,

I’m working to have this guide available ASAP. Other items have unfortunately taken priority until recently.

To answer your question, yes. Because the Zoom Client is so explicit and asks for user consent before sharing any information then the user would have the opportunity to consent to the data sharing and it would therefore fall under acceptable use.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@analyticalmonk @jhorman @nicsal @vienoolesen @ary @mfarimani

Hey Team

I’m excited to announce that we have released our Closed Caption Token API which enables you to programmatically obtain the Closed Caption Token and create transcription apps.

Let me know if you have any questions.