Accessing Webinar information via JWT app?

I’ve built an integration with an internal system of ours to listen to meeting recording web hooks in a JWT app. I’m the admin for the Zoom account and a Pro user, but I am NOT our webinar user. My JWT app receives the web hooks for completed webinar recordings, but when I try to use our credentials of the app to hit either of these endpoints:

GET /webinars/{webinarId}/registrants
GET /past_webinars/{WebinarUUID}/absentees

I’m told that my user account doesn’t have rights:

{
“code”: 200,
“message”: “Webinar plan is missing. You must subscribe to the webinar plan and enable webinar for this user: {my_user_id} in order to perform this action.”
}

As a hack, I attempted to have our Webinar admin create a JWT app, but it seems they don’t have access to do this.

What is the best path to be able to use the webinar query endpoints in a server to server environment where OAuth isn’t viable? I would have thought that since I’m an account admin I’d be able to query these endpoints even if I can’t create webinars.

Hey @szumlins,

Thanks for reaching out about this and good question.

In order to query the Webinars endpoints, the JWT app owner will need to have a webinar license applied to their User Profile. If you are the JWT App owner, applying a Webinar license would resolve this.

Since you can only have 1 JWT app per account, creating another app won’t be an option.

Let me know if this helps to clarify,
Will

Thanks Will. I guess I have a follow up question to this (admittedly haven’t had time to test myself yet).

If I switch the JWT app to my non-admin webinar enabled user, will I still be able to call the NON webinar endpoints for all of my users’ meetings (past participants, host, etc) with that JWT key like I can now running as an admin?

I’m concerned that the functionality we have already built using the Admin user to create the JWT app will break for everything non-webinar related since that user is just a pro user, not a domain admin.

Given that this is a server to server webhook app, I’m just trying to figure out how to be able to see all the actions in the zoom account we own and pay for programmatically without having to have some sort of OAUTH refresh code and startup validation since that takes a significantly higher effort to develop.

Hey @szumlins,

Good question. Since JWT apps are account-wide, there’s not a method to actually switch this to a non-admin user. The JWT app will be associated with the account owner/admin.

My recommendation would be to provision a license for the owner/admin, and I don’t believe there’d be any other action necessary.

Let me know if this helps to clarify!
Will

If this was just the difference in cost of a standard user, it’d be easier to justify. But given the fact that even a basic webinar account is 5x the cost of a pro user, it is hard to justify spending all that extra money just to be able to make API calls.

Really unfortunate that the API doesn’t have a “sudo” or “admin” scope. We are obviously paying for Webinar access and the API obviously can’t hold a webinar, so it seems silly that account admins can’t make calls to get reports, participants, etc.

Understanding this now we may have to make some changes to the way interaction works with our app.

Hey @szumlins,

Thanks for the reply and this feedback. Just to make sure I’m not missing anything here, I’ve gone ahead and private messaged you for the email you’re passing in the request URL.

Can you reply back to that when you get a chance?

Thanks!
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.