Android 12 Meeting SDK Support

Hi @jon.zoom ,

Thank you for your response. Would you please give more details about your estimation of this release or about your progress and the priority of this issue on your roadmap? Do you suggest any workarounds?

This issue is being around since August.21. Please check Android 12 support issues v5.7.1267

We have been waiting for an update since then. Android 12 phones are in the market now. We fail to support such users. We need to deal with complaints from customers using such phones each day. Unfortunately this starts to turn to service outage for our business over here.

Agree with @hardc0der. Even an estimated timeline would be really helpful. Thanks in advance, @jon.zoom!

Good luck on getting any update… I warned them about this long time ago… Would say I was the canary in the coal mind… but… no one ever listens to the warnings…foresight is missing in the dev world/product-owner/engineering manager world.

Its pretty sad that a multi-billion dollar company with a whole dev team cant prepare for a release that was a year away. Any good dev team should actively be working against beta to prevent breaking changes.

1 Like

Sad indeed. My lead developer (@nitinkhanna1) pointed out the changes needed (4 or 5 lines of code) a few months back but, unfortunately, there’s been no take-up so far.

@jon.zoom Any updates you can provide? Even a rough timeline would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi @mattj, @hardc0der, and @ozan,

We absolutely hear you and understand the frustration around the lack of a timeline on Android 12 support, and the unsatisfactory delay in adding support for it overall. I still do not have a concrete update on the timeline for this, but we are definitely getting closer. Once we are moderately confident in the tentative release timing for Android 12 support, I will be sure to keep you all updated in this thread.

Thanks!

Right, @jon.zoom but this thread will likely close and be locked until another thread on this opens so I doubt we will be updated here.

Also, we have got an increasing amount of users who have this issue and the app crashes in front of them that have updated to Android 12, the webinar to be exact in my situation.

@mattj stated that there is around 4-5 lines of code needed which shouldn’t be that difficult or take 6 months to implement.

Waiting for 6 months on this would only increase the frustration of SDK users and possibly every user of Zoom on Android 12. This OS was released on October (I don’t understand why Zoom didn’t anticipate or test this using the Android beta) so users are now quickly updating to it and complaining.

I still do not have a concrete update on the timeline for this, but we are definitely getting closer.

How close @jon.zoom as a rough estimate because we have a ton of users asking us that our product doesn’t work because of this?

Kaitlyn

Hi @kaitlynnst,

Right, @jon.lieblich but this thread will likely close and be locked until another thread on this opens so I doubt we will be updated here.

I can still post and re-open this thread if it locks and will be sure to post here once we have a clearer timeline.

Also, we have got an increasing amount of users who have this issue and the app crashes in front of them that have updated to Android 12, the webinar to be exact in my situation.

We completely understand the severity of the issues that the lack of Android 12 support causes for your end users. Crashes are always the highest priority issues for us to resolve, but we won’t be in a great position to resolve this type of crash until we add full support, unfortunately.

mattj stated that there is around 4-5 lines of code needed which shouldn’t be that difficult or take 6 months to implement.

While one individual change may be very few lines of code, the task of adding support for Android 12 is far from trivial. There are numerous changes in behavior we must account for, in addition to the extensive testing required before we can claim to officially support this OS version. Until all of this work is done to ensure full support for API 31, we cannot fix individual issues that are specific to this version.

Waiting for 6 months on this would only increase the frustration of SDK users and possibly every user of Zoom on Android 12. This OS was released on October (I don’t understand why Zoom didn’t anticipate or test this using the Android beta) so users are now quickly updating to it and complaining.

I would be very surprised if this took 6 months. We are completely aware of the cadence of Android releases are published and hope to improve this in the future.

How close @jon.lieblich as a rough estimate because we have a ton of users asking us that our product doesn’t work because of this?

I don’t think there will be a meaningful amount of time during which a rough estimate will be useful. Once I have a timeline that we are pretty confident in, I will be able to provide an update. We are constantly working on improving our long-term planning that can be shared publicly, so you can definitely expect this to change for the better as time goes on.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom So Zoom issued a scare tactic into making our studio upgrade to their 9 month window SDK only for Android users to suffer issues on Android 12 making us lose customers.

This is a clear issue in Zoom’s software that shows it doesn’t work with Android 12 and we will have lots of people upgrading quickly.

Can we make this a priority as adoption of Android 12 is likely to rapidly increase as it has been out for 4 months.

Hi @kaitlynnst,

I’m sorry, but it seems that there is some outdated information here. As mentioned in our announcements, the implementation of the 9 month release window has been delayed until further notice. We have already prioritized the addition of support for Android 12 and will keep you updated once we are able to share a timeline.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom Please keep updating us on this as this is very urgent and we are seeing people to are starting to update their devices to Android 12 and we are getting a high amount of crashes and complaints here.

Had this been listed as a known issue from Zoom’s side on their changelog somewhere we wouldn’t have updated or expected Zoom to issue a 9 month release window then change their minds all of a sudden.

Thanks

Hi @mattj @hardc0der @ozan @kaitlynnst,

We have been able to confirm that the release including Android 12 support is expected toward the end of March.

Thanks!

Thanks @jon.zoom for the releases date. I hope this release before end of march :smiling_face_with_tear:

Hi @happy.bitclass,

We actually have an exciting update on this! Partial (~95%) Android 12 support was added to the upcoming 5.9.6 release. There will be a couple of known issues related to edge cases with bluetooth audio devices, but all of the major issues, including the two most prominent crashes, should be resolved. This will allow you to greatly improve the user experience for those who have experienced app crashes on Android 12.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi!
There’s a crash after updating target sdk level to 31 with Zoom SDK v5.9.6.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Join any meeting using Zoom SDK for Android.
  2. Click “More” button in bottom right corner.
  3. Select “Minimize Meeting”.
  4. Tap on PiP floating window.

Actual result:
App crashes with the next message:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: com.example.app: Targeting S+ (version 31 and above) requires that one of FLAG_IMMUTABLE or FLAG_MUTABLE be specified when creating a PendingIntent.
Strongly consider using FLAG_IMMUTABLE, only use FLAG_MUTABLE if some functionality depends on the PendingIntent being mutable, e.g. if it needs to be used with inline replies or bubbles.

Hi @andrewRybakin, thanks for using our SDK.

I have been able to reproduce this crash, so no further information is needed on your end. We’ll let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks!

1 Like

@jon.lieblich

In Meeting SDK for Android section, the Prerequisites still mentions that the compileSdkVersion should be 30.
After incrementing targetSdkVersion to 31, the gradle throws a warning that compileSdkVersion should not be lower than targetSdkVersion.
So, if we ignore this will that be causing any issues, please confirm.

Hi @rohitbhargava,

Thank you for pointing this out. I will notify our documentation team that this needs to be updated.

If you are using the latest version of the SDK, you can safely update both compileSdkVersion and targetSdkVersion to 31.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much for confirmation. :slightly_smiling_face:

You are welcome!

Please don’t hesitate to reach back out in a new topic with any additional questions. :slightly_smiling_face: