App rejection due to use of TrueDepth API

Description
Apple review team is constantly rejecting our app because they can’t seem to locate the TrueDepth API usage in app. The use of TrueDepth API is possibly related to CenterStage and Studio Effects.

Which iOS Meeting SDK version?
v5.9.3.2512

Smartphone:

• Device: [iPhone 11]

Additional context
Do we have any workaround this? So that sdk does not use TrueDepth API. We are using the SDK only for live classes and webinars, CenterStage/Studio Effects features are not necessary.

2 Likes

Hi @raj.dhakate, thanks for using our SDK.

Can you please provide the exact wording of the rejection you are seeing so that we can investigate?

Thanks!

Its a long series of messages -

started with

Guideline 2.5.1 - Performance - Software Requirements

During review, we found that your app includes TrueDepth APIs. However, we were not able to locate any features in your app that use TrueDepth APIs.

Next Steps

If your app does not include any features that use TrueDepth APIs, please remove them from your app.

If your app does include features that use TrueDepth APIs, please reply to this message in App Store Connect to provide information on how to locate them.

Then Review team asked for a demo video -

Guideline 2.1 - Information Needed

We’re looking forward to completing our review of your app. Before we can continue, we need a video that demonstrates the current version, 1.0, in use on a physical iOS device.

Specifically, we need a demo video that shows the features that use TrueDepth.

Keep these requirements in mind as you make your demo video:

• Only use footage of your app running on a physical iOS device, not on a simulator.
  • Make sure the video clearly documents all relevant app features, services, and user permission requests.
  • You can use a screen recorder to capture footage of your app in use.

Next Steps

Create the demo video, add a link to the video in the App Review Information section of your app’s page in App Store Connect, and reply to this message in App Store Connect.

To add the video link:

• Sign in to App Store Connect.
  • Click on My Apps.
  • Select your app.
  • Click on the app version on the left side of the screen.
  • Scroll down to App Review Information.
  • Provide the demo video link and any necessary access details in the Notes section.
  • Click the Save button at the top of the Version Information page.

Please note that if your app can only be reviewed with a demo video, you’ll need to provide an updated demo video for every app submission.

Since we were unable to provide any demo video (currently don’t have latest generation iPads), Apple asked to remove this feature -

Guideline 2.5.1 - Performance - Software Requirements

During review, we found that your app includes TrueDepth APIs. However, we were not able to locate any features in your app that use TrueDepth APIs.

While we understand that you included Zoom SDK to provide its functionalities and features, since this is not currently fully implemented, it would be appropriate to remove it.

Next Steps

If your app does not include any features that use TrueDepth APIs, please remove them from your app.

If your app does include features that use TrueDepth APIs, please reply to this message in App Store Connect to provide information on how to locate them.

Hi @raj.dhakate,

Thanks for the additional information. We’ll investigate this and get back to you once we have any updates.

Thanks!

1 Like

Our app was also rejected because of this. I explained and gave a video showing how the Zoom SDK uses TrueDepth APIs for the Center Stage feature, but they replied asking these questions:

To help us proceed with the review of your app, please provide complete and detailed information to the following questions.

• What information is your app collecting using the TrueDepth API?
  • For what purposes are you collecting this information? Please provide a complete and clear explanation of all planned uses of this data.
  • Will the data be shared with any third parties? Where will this information be stored?

I can’t answer any of these questions since the Zoom SDK isn’t open sourced. Could you please answer these questions so we can get our release approved?

Thank you.

Hello,

Our app was also rejected for the same reason. I have attached a screenshot of the guideline the caused the rejection. Do you know how we should go about dealing with this?

Yes, we have the same issue. Trying to explain to Apple, keep rejecting …

+1, we have the same issue. We cannot release any new because of Apple reject truedepth API

Charles

@jon.zoom could you please provide an update where you are at with your investigation? It seems a bunch of us are facing the same rejection from Apple. Could you help answer the following questions asked by Apple? It could help us and others get through app review. Thank you.

• For what purposes are you collecting this information? Please provide a complete and clear explanation of all planned uses of this data.
  • Will the data be shared with any third parties? Where will this information be stored?

Hi @raj.dhakate @constantHealthDev @andy.ly @equalearning,

Please see below for responses for the guidelines. Additionally, this usage will be removed in the 5.9.6 release at the end of this month.

• The app collects the camera intrinsic matrix, facial expressions, orientation and location of the head, and camera position info.
    • We are introducing a feature that will allow users to speak with others using a virtual avatar instead of their real face during a video conference. To do this, we need an accurate representation of a user’s facial expression so that the avatar can be animated and rendered correctly.
    • No, and this information will not be stored anywhere.

Please let me know if any additional information is needed and I will be happy to clarify further.

Thanks!

2 Likes

@jon.zoom Thank you for the response. we will try updating our app after new release

You are very welcome! If you run into any issues please let me know and I’ll be happy to assist further.

@raj.dhakate
May I ask the progress of your application?
Have you been approved by Apple with the Zoom guideline or wait for the 5.9.6??

Our application have the same issue but “in review” process over 1 week.

@bizupssc
We are waiting of our app release cycle and of course the Zoom SDK update.
When raising this issue, we had released our app with Zoom SDK v5.7.6.1076, which was already working fine for our app.

Thank you for your reply.
May I ask how long does Apple take to approve your application with Zoom SDK v5.7.6.1076?

@bizupssc
Our app was approved within two days

1 Like

Oh, we hope our application will be approved the same as you.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

@raj.dhakate
Unfortunately, our application was rejected. Has your application ever faced this kind of challenge?

P.S. I use SDK version same as you.

Guideline 2.1 - Information Needed

We’re looking forward to completing the review of your app, but we need more information to continue.

Next Steps

Please provide detailed answers to the following questions in your reply to this message in App Store Connect:

• Please provide screenshots of the feature that utilizes the TrueDepth APIs. Please ensure the screenshots clearly capture how the TrueDepth APIs are used.

@jon.zoom

May I ask how long does it take to release new version (5.9.6 releases 28/02/22) in meeting sdk ios?

Would you Please expedite to release this version ?

No. Haven’t had any issue with v5.7.6.1076

1 Like