Approval_type keeps defaulting to 2, ignoring my setting when creating instant meeting via API

Description
I’m not the first person to experience this, but I have not found a solution in this forum.

I am creating an instant meeting, to which I want to add registrants via the API.
I can’t, as get the error
“This meeting has not registration required”

Error
The response from the meeting creation (prior to this) shows approval_type=2

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?
"/users/{userId}/meetings

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
.header(“Content-Type”, “application/json”)
.header(“Authorization”, "Bearer " + jwtToken)

{"topic":"Yoga Nidra","type":1,"duration":60,"agenda":"No Agenda","settings":{"host_video":true,"participant_video":false,"cn_meeting":false,"in_meeting":false,"join_before_host":false,"mute_upon_entry":true,"watermark":false,"use_pmi":false,"approval_type":1,"registration_type":1,"audio":"both","auto_recording":"none","enforce_login":false,"enforce_login_domains":"","alternative_hosts":"","close_registration":false,"waiting_room":false,"global_dial_in_countries":[],"contact_name":"Cherryl","contact_email":"cherryl@****","registrants_email_notification":false,"meeting_authentication":false,"authentication_option":"","authentication_domains":""},"tracking_fields":[]}
Note: “approval_type”:1

1. See error
    {"uuid":"***XZoS/CsqHkGpzzebg==","id":8139***629228,"host_id":"CREM*****asGW*****afXQ","host_email":"cherryl@****","topic":"Yoga Nidra","type":1,"status":"waiting","timezone":"Europe/Berlin","agenda":"No Agenda","created_at":"2020-11-25T12:01:34Z","start_url":"https://us02web.zoom.us/s/*******","join_url":"https://us02web.zoom.us/j/******","password":"695566","h323_password":"695566","pstn_password":"695566","encrypted_password":"dG8yQWpkZnhOb3B1YVpaU2xWWnU2QT09","settings":{"host_video":true,"participant_video":false,"cn_meeting":false,"in_meeting":false,"join_before_host":false,"mute_upon_entry":true,"watermark":false,"use_pmi":false,"approval_type":2,"audio":"both","auto_recording":"none","enforce_login":false,"enforce_login_domains":"","alternative_hosts":"","close_registration":false,"show_share_button":true,"allow_multiple_devices":true,"registrants_confirmation_email":true,"waiting_room":false,"request_permission_to_unmute_participants":false,"global_dial_in_countries":["DE"],"global_dial_in_numbers":[{"country_name":"Germany","number":"+49 3056795800","type":"toll","country":"DE"},{"country_name":"Germany","number":"+49 6938079883","type":"toll","country":"DE"},{"country_name":"Germany","number":"+49 6950502596","type":"toll","country":"DE"},{"country_name":"Germany","number":"+49 6971049922","type":"toll","country":"DE"}],"contact_name":"Cherryl","contact_email":"cherryl@****","registrants_email_notification":false,"meeting_authentication":false,"encryption_type":"enhanced_encryption","approved_or_denied_countries_or_regions":{"enable":false}}}

Note: “approval_type”:2

Yes, this is a licensed account.
PMI is set to false.

I feel it has something to do with the fact that this is an Instant Meeting, but it is important that everybody on this meeting has a unique link.

Please advise?

Hi @cherryl,

Thanks for reaching out.

In order to use meeting registration, you will need to use either a scheduled meeting or a recurring meeting with fixed time (meetings with type 1 will not work). Registration is not supported for instant meetings.

I hope this helps to clarify, but let me know!

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will,

Thanks for the feedback…

Not sure if I missed this when reading the docs, or if it should be made more clear somewhere?

Hi @cherryl,

Apologies for the ambiguity! We will work on making this clearer in our documentation. In our Support article that covers registration, it refers to scheduled meetings but does not mention instant meetings (type 1) explicitly as not being supported—thanks for pointing this out. :slight_smile:

Best,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.