Asterisks ** started to appear in participant names via API calls

Hey @ccaratachea, @dclinton,

This is expected if the account is a HIPAA account.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy

Thank you for responding. I completely understand. Is there a work around for this?

Hey @ccaratachea,

Can you please share more about your use case so we can help come up with a solution? :slight_smile:

What API are you using?

Thanks,
Tommy

I have a standard Business account with 10 licenses. It is the HIPAA version of Zoom because the licenses are used for telehealth. But my company also does Continuing Education (a non-protected activity) and need the usage report of participants (entering and leaving the meeting) to verify attendance when providing certification of Continuing Education. Since the participant names in the Usage Report are all *****, we need a work-around to verify meeting attendance. Thanks for your help!

Hi @npresnall,

Thanks for explaining your use case, and can definitely appreciate the unique situation you’re in here—that said, I’m afraid due to HIPPA compliance, this *** setting cannot be modified on Healthcare accounts, regardless of how the account is being used (even for non healthcare things).

That said, I think you raise a great use case, and it could be really helpful to have more control over this functionality on joint use cases like yours. I would recommend posting this in our #feature-requests channel as well, if you’re up for it.

Thanks,
Will

Thank you. I have added it to the #feature-requests.

Would Zoom consider upgrading my personal non-hipaa zoom account to use for Continuing Education? That account is under npresnall@gmail.com. I can’t use it for CEs currently because the classes are longer than 40 minutes.

Ned

Hey @npresnall,

Thanks for creating that feature request—in regards to your other question, I would recommend reaching out to support.zoom.us for this, as they’ll be best suited to clarify any account upgrade/setup questions.

Thanks,
Will

Two meetings with registration - one on Oct. 24 and one on Nov 13. Under usage reports, participants, the names and email addresses of all participants are not there. Every line in the name and email columns read like this: ******. Is there a way to get the names and email addresses to show? I will be ever so grateful if you can help with this.

Hey @margot.lcsw.abq,

Do you have a Hipaa Zoom account by any chance? If so, the PII data will have asterisks.

Thanks,
Tommy

Got it! Thank you so much, Tommy. I sure do.

Glad Tommy could help clarify, @margot.lcsw.abq!

Hi Will,

I did want to ask, though, why - since it is my account - I can’t see names on my own reports of conference registrants. Why would Zoom’s HIPAA protections protect my participants’ names from me? (Especially since conference registrants’ names don’t have to be HIPAA protected as they are not patients.)

Is it because my account is a sub-account under someone else’s business account? If I had my own Zoom business account, would it still star out the names?

Hey @margot.lcsw.abq,

This is a good question—while I think our Support team will be best suited to give you the most comprehensive answer to this, I do believe that any sub accounts under a healthcare account will also have the HIPPA restrictions applied automatically. But again, I would recommend confirming with our Support team, as they’re the experts on this. :slight_smile:

Best,
Will

My staff that we pay monthly to have Zoom are the participants that came to our meeting, why can we not even have their names on the report? We are using it for a training that requires Sign in sheet in order for them to receive Continuing education units for. Also our county is asking for a sign in sheet.

Hi @cristinar,

For questions surrounding these reports and HIPPA privacy in the reports, please reach out to our Support Team directly. They’ll be best suited to assist.

Thank you,
Will