UTF in meeting registrant name

Description
I’m working on an application to manage breakouts in meetings. We’re registering users via the API and prepend their name with an EMOJI, something like “:star2: Dirk”, but when they join the meeting, the EMOJI is replaced with a single dash, ie ‘- Dirk’. :sob:.

Is this the expected behavior, or am I doing something wrong?

Error
No Emojis present when users join the call, or when I look at the list of registrants

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
OAuth

Which Endpoint/s?
POST /meetings/{meetingId}/registrants

How To Reproduce (If applicable)

headers = {
    "Authorization": f'Bearer XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX',
    "Content-Type": "application/json; charset=utf-8",
}
post_data = json.dumps({'email': 'user@example.net', 'first_name': '🌟 Dirk'}, ensure_ascii=False).encode('utf-8')
api_resp = requests.post('https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/{meetingId}/registrants', headers=headers, data=post_data)

Hey @d27,

At the moment, we don’t support emojis as values for the string content in our APIs (or in the Zoom Client participants list), so I’m afraid this is expected. :slightly_frowning_face:

That said, I can definitely appreciate where you’re coming from, and I think this is a great suggestion. If you’re so inclined, you might consider posting this as a feature request here: #feature-requests

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

Thanks for the response! I’ll post this as a feature request. Is the current behavior wrt accepted characters in usernames documented somewhere?

Hey @d27,

Our APIs support ASCII characters—we will work on making this clearer in the documentation. :slight_smile:

cc @shrijana.g

Thanks,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.