Asterisks ** started to appear in participant names via API calls

Hello,
Since yesterday asterisks (**) started to appear in participant names via API calls…
Looks like the last two letters in each word are replaced with asterisk **.
Is there a way via API to get to the full original participant name?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @mshparber, this is definitely odd - can you Direct Message me any meeting IDs / UUIDs where you see this happening?

Are you using Reports / Dashboard APIs for this?

Yes, I use v2/report/meetings/?uuid?/participants API.
There were several meetings with this behavior and then went back to normal.
I’ll send to a meeting uuid by direct message.
By the way, apart from the report API: v2/report/meetings/?uuid?/participants
is there another API call that returns all the participants with the details?
Thanks!

We have opened an incident (5380312)) for a similar reason: asterisks appearing in names of the Usage Report. Seems to be for one report only, May 3rd.

Any news from anyone on this?

Just to confirm that we have also seen this for a couple of webinars, the API calls were made around noon GMT on 4 May.
It seems like it was a temporary change, as later the reports started returning back the full participant names as usual.

Hey @v.hristov, @atjdor, @mshparber,

The issue should be fixed now, please let us know if you continue to experience it.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks for the follow-up, @tommy. We haven’t seen the issue since its intermittent occurrence on May 4th, so from our end it seems fixed now.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up @v.hristov! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

The last time I ran the report was Tuesday May 19 and it was still a problem

Hello,

We started to experience this problem some time ago.
Asterisk symbols are still present in participant names for a few meetings.
Also the same problem appears for one Webinar instance.
I can provide meetings and webinar IDs / UUIDs or any other data that might help to investigate the problem.

We are also experiencing this issue on only one meeting so far. ID# ***********

Call is: /report/meetings/$MeetingId/participants/?page_size=300

See partial result

*This post has been edited to remove any meeting / webinar IDs

Hey @sdickinson1, @bportakh, @voteforguy,

Do you know if these meetings were Hipaa meetings? If they are, it will hide the PII.

If they are not Hipaa meetings please email the affected meeting IDs and this thread to developersupport@zoom.us so we can debug.

Thanks,
Tommy

How does someone with a HIPAA account still get a participant list without asteriks?

Hey @tcc.webconf3,

Are you on a HIPAA account?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

We have a customer with HIPAA account. While participants PII is hidden, registrants are not. Just wondering if this is expected? It’s a bit confusing for the customer why would participants PII is protected, while registrants not.

Also, is there anyway to check whether an account or meeting is HIPAA? So that we can let customers know that a part of our app which depends on PII data won’t work.

Thanks

Hey @hsintegration,

When you say registrants, do you mean users registering for the meeting? Can you provide steps to reproduce the inconsistency you are seeing?

Let me know and I will look into this and if there is a way to know if the account is HIPAA.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

Yep, except in my case it’s webinar.

When we fetch registrants via https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/webinars/webinarregistrants the first/last names and email fields are not hidden.

But these fields are hidden in participants report - https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/reports/reportwebinarparticipants

I’m wondering whether this is expected behavior.

I’ll send webinar details to you by email.

Thank you!

Hey @hsintegration,

Gotcha, yep I got the details in the email and our engineering team is investigating it.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hello @tommy ,

I ran a report to get the registration list from a HIPPA account and it came up in the excel with “*****” instead of the attendees names. Is there a work around for this so I can get a list of the people that attended?

Getting the same issue with emails and names ******* for https://api.zoom.us/v2/report/meetings/" & meeting_id & “/participants”