Best API for simple automation

I could not find a “general advice” forum, so I hope this one will be acceptable. I am looking for advice on which of Zoom’s many rich APIs to focus on. The current need is to add some automation to the Mac Zoom client (possibly other platforms later). The automation is to allow hands-off control of a meeting, without needing to go to the computer (for example, during a dance class or theatrical performance). Examples of automation:

• mute on/off/query
  • camera on/off/query/switch
  • original sound on/off/query
  • add/remove spotlight (if host)
  • window sizing and reposition
  • reorder gallery
    Some of this can be currently achieved with AppleScript, but AppleScript is not a great interface for reliable automation.

I have tested the Zoom Meeting SDK for macOS. This is more heavyweight than I really want. It requires that the developer makes a complete replacement for the Zoom client. And this client did not come (so far as I could see) with the full menus and AppleScript support of the regular client, so none of the existing automation (such as Elgato Stream Deck) worked.

There are Zoom apps, but these have a complex setup requirement for the need (to simply automate what the current logged in user can already do).

There may be other interfaces. So I am looking for what path would be recommended for the kind of automation proposed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.