Best Practices for Starting User Scheduled Meetings with Android Zoom SDK

Description

Our app, we created an SDK app from ZOOM Market Place, created a JWT with the service, and initialized the ZoomSDK.
Then, when the user enters their email address and password, they will start a scheduled meeting associated with their account.

When I upgraded from zoom-sdk-android-5.5.1.1319 to zoom-sdk-android-5.7.1.1266, I found that the PreMeetingService feature has been significantly removed.
In the release notes, it says to replace it with a REST API. I am confused by the sudden change.

I understand that I should use OAuth. (maybe…OK?)
Can you please tell me what specific actions to take?

Also, it would be helpful if you could provide samples to the SDK or temporarily revert the PreMeetingService function as a deprecation.

Thank you very much.

Which Android Meeting SDK version?

• zoom-sdk-android-5.7.1.1266

Hi @maehata,

You are correct that the PreMeetingService has been removed in the latest version of the SDK. This change was done in an effort to ensure the most stable experience possible.

It is absolutely possible to use OAuth with our REST APIs to replicate the functionality of the PreMeetingService. For more information on getting started with the REST API, you can visit our documentation or create a new topic over in the API and Webhooks category. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, it would be helpful if you could provide samples to the SDK or temporarily revert the PreMeetingService function as a deprecation.

Unfortunately we do not have any plans to reintroduce this functionality in future releases.

Thanks!

Hi Jon,

You are correct that the PreMeetingService has been removed in the latest version of the SDK. This change was done in an effort to ensure the most stable experience possible

I understand the background in the release notes, and I agree with Zoom development.

Would you like a little more help to make it a complete replacement for the REST APIs.
Do we need to do the following steps to get started with any user account hosting a scheduled meeting?

1. Initialize ZoomSDK and login with email address and password (or SSO).
  2. Use OAuth (through a browser, so you have to type it in at this time too?) . And get meeting information of any user account using OAuth token and REST APIs.
  3. Get the Meeting ID and Pass from the meeting information, and Start from the API of ZoomSDK.

Please let me know if my understanding is insufficient.
Also, I think ZAK can’t host a meeting conference, is there any difference?

Hi @maehata,

When you use OAuth to authenticate a user for the REST API, it actually removes the need to log into the SDK directly. Once you have successfully authenticated the user, you can retrieve their ZAK token and use it to start a meeting as that user.

Other than that, you seem to have a solid understanding of the flow used here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

Jon

Thanks for your helping, I was able to start hosting a booked meeting from my Android app via the REST API.

The reason I thought I couldn’t host with ZAK was because I couldn’t get ZAK with the request described in the SDK document.

For Zoom_Access_Token(ZAK), you can retrieve them by sending a GET request to https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/{userId}/token.

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/sdk/native-sdks/android/mastering-zoom-sdk/start-join-meeting/api-user/authentication

With the result you can get from this, it seems that you cannot join the conference as a host.

I tried a few things, and succeeded in the following way.
https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/XXXXXXXXX
I took out only ZAK from the end of start_url in the result.

I think that maybe your Android SDK documentation is not correct, so it would be helpful if you could fix it.
Also, if there is a better way to do this, I would appreciate it if you could let me know that as well.

Thank you.

Hi @maehata,

If you are running into any issues with using the endpoint suggested on that page, I would suggest checking out the REST API docs or dev forum category as mentioned previously. That page is not meant to be a replacement for the relevant REST API documentation.

If you have any additional questions about utilizing the REST API, please post over in #api-and-webhooks and someone will be happy to assist. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.