Breakout rooms API

+1 for breakout rooms API in the REST api or SDKs (web in particular)

2 Likes

Hey @connect, @mattapperson,

Thanks for your interest!

-Tommy

Alrighty gonna put our interest in here for API accessible breakout room control. Now that you have the encryption debacle tackled in 5.0 you guys should hopefully have some time to knock this very important feature out

1 Like

+1 for this feature request.

Our story:

• meeting with 60+ people
  • most of them do not have a zoom account
  • they were working in small groups ahead
  • during the zoom call the participants are asked to assemble in their previous small groups again in a brekaout session
  • it takes too long to do it during the meeting
  • we cannot do it in advanced
  • but we could ask the participate to change their display name to a pre-given name so that we can do it with pre-programmed api calls

Alternative to this feature suggestion for our use case: let participants assign themselves to breakout sessions.

1 Like

+1 for this feature! Currently working with some crazy hacky workarounds to achieve simple tasks that this api would solve.

1 Like

Thanks @tony.lewis, @luebbert42, & @scholtenotto. We continue to see the growing demand for this feature, and will provide a roadmap for this as soon as we can!

For a general update to all, this this feature involves in-meeting capabilities typically not available to the REST API.

Weā€™re working through the options to provide this feature and will update here when we can!

Thanks for the update Michael. Iā€™ll take that as a green light to progress and having this feature officially in the queue and being looked at seriously by your developers.

In terms of your comment about ā€œIn-meeting capabilitiesā€ I think we can get around some early adoption for this by simply allowing the web SDK users to be placed into breakout groups by the host and moderators (who can be logged into the native desktop app). I know itā€™s not the ultimate end all solution, but it would at least allow early adopters and creative folks to start play-testing this more readily.

+1 from our team, and add us to your Beta test group.

Thanks for all you do.
Segovia

I understand there is no breakout room API yet, is there anything we can do to change pre-assigned breakout rooms during the meeting?

We are expecting 300+ people in a meeting and would like to break them into small groups during different sessions. Each session we have different group leader with different members (so it is not random). There is only 10 minutes break between sessions and only host (not co-host) can arrange the breakout room. So it is impossible for one person to do it manually for 300+ people in 10 minutes.

It seems we can pre-assign participants into rooms in advance, but only once. After the meeting started, there is no way to import another CSV file in the breakout room menu to change the group settings. Is there anything we can do before the release of breakout room API?

3 Likes

What hacks have you done to make this happen? Would love to hear! Thanks! @ scholtenotto

1 Like

And a +1 for the Breakout room API. Or at least the ability to upload a CSV in the middle of the meeting to switch up the breakout rooms.

Thanks, Zoom!

1 Like

Since there is not meeting API at all and I needed this for events asap. I am using python to control zoom. I have 1 laptop running the script, listening to commands from the chat (For my specific case I needed users to be able to say in the chat what breakout rooms they wanted to attend). If a host types a certain command like /start-breakout, it will trigger the bot to assign all the users to the correct rooms. Lets just pray we get something like a CSV import option (during a meeting), that would make this system much more reliable.

1 Like

How is your bot actually assigning people?

1 Like

Simply putā€¦:

• I generate an array of breakout rooms with users, based on what users type in the chat (I read the autosave zoom file, it auto saves every minute)
  • Once started, it opens zoom, takes a screenshot. Grabs coordinates of breakout room list, takes another screenshot of just that window with the mss library.
  • cv2 library loads the image, pytesseract library reads the image and translates it to text.
  • I filter down the returned value, combine letters to words (it also comes with coordinates).
  • I then have the coordinates of all the words in the breakout rooms window (and where the assign buttons are)
  • It then goes through the my array of breakout rooms and their users: for example it starts with room 1, it will click the assign button: screenshot the assign window, look for certain user matches, clicks them if there is a match, and so on.
  • Add that with a few simple scroll functionalities, and it can assigns as many users as you want to each room. (beware, when more than 8 users, you either need to scroll on the assigns list or use the search).

So a combination of these python libraries:

• mss (used to take screenshots of the computer)
  • cv2 (loads images)
  • pytesseract (character recognition from images, translate images to words. Works in combination with cv2)
  • pyautogui (used to find coordinates of images on the screen, and to move/click on them)

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very much so! Thanks for the pointers!

This sounds awesome! Very close to my use case. Any chance youā€™d be willing to share your code? If it was open source Iā€™d be happy to contribute any features I developed.

2 Likes

Yeah of course! But: this was my first script in python (it is a mess and I wrote it in 3 days. Sadly I have not had a chance to even clean up the code, too busy with work). PS. I come from a different coding background. Are you experienced with python? Id love to learn more python as time goes on. Contributions like cleaning up the code would already be super valuable! If you have any questions, on how to run it, the logic etc. feel free to put them on my git.

3 Likes

super cool, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing your script @scholtenotto! :slight_smile:

You may find this helpful @segovia, @kari ^

-Tommy

I saw that Breakout rooms API is not on the Roadmap. 2 Questions

1. Roughly when do you expect it to be released
  2. What capabilities will be exposed through the API? I really hope you give us a lot of control over breakroom creation and assigning people to breakout rooms.

A couple of other notes:

1. Please enhance the current app to allow co-hosts to manage breakout room assignments. Currently only the Host can assign people and move them around. Allowing co-hosts this ability would at least help reduce the pressure for the API.
  2. Enable breakout room Waiting Rooms with Queues so the user waiting to get in can see how many people are ahead of them. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to understand the many use cases where this feature is very important.
1 Like

+1 for breakout rooms API.

We have 100+ participants per meeting/week and have to manually assign them to groups based on their inputs. With a lack of automation capabilities we are limited to growing our community.

Thanks to all for sharing their similar situations.

1 Like