Broadcast of mirror image

I am a college professor who wishes to begin using a ‘lightwall’ in my zoom lectures. to be brief…a lightwall is glass wall that is between me and the student that allows me to draw (just as i would on a whiteboard, only i dont have to turn away from the students). When i draw on the glass…the orientation is perfect for me, but backwards for my students. Zoom allows me to mirror my feed so i can see it the way they do…can you add a feature that would let me BROADCAST the mirror of my image, so they can see it in normal orientation.

Currently the video has to be recorded and flipped by third party software, which renders it unusable for live lectures.

As this is a growing trend in education (khan academy and other large webinar based institutions are rapidly embracing this technique) I believe it will be a good feature for zoom to implement.

Thank you

Phil Smith

7 Likes

Hey Phil,

Thankyou for bringing this request to our attention. We’ll definitely add it to our feature requests pipeline and roll it out in a future release. We’ll keep you posted.

Cheers! 

2 Likes

Hey Professor Smith.

One suggestion as a work around until then would be to utilize ManyCam  (www.manycam.com) and there is an option to flip your video feed. ManyCam serves as a virtual webcam. There are tutorials on the website about how to stream Manycam as a webcam. Not complicated but not the most clear to setup. Also, just to state: the free version is 100% capable of doing what you need, assuming that is just flipping your video stream prior to broadcasting through Zoom.

Good luck sir.

1 Like

Hi! www.manycam.com doesn’t have a free plan anylonger. Any other method you’d suggest?

Hey @jesuisrahult,

After your free trial ends, please upgrade to the plan you need.

Thanks,
Tommy

Of course the low tech solution is to point your camera at a mirror. Potentially easier with an external webcam, or a phone, than it would be with a laptop / tablet built in webcam.

1 Like

Hey @bdsl, true haha.

You can see our mirror setting here:

For additional enquires unrelated to the Zoom Marketplace Platform, please reach out to support.zoom.us.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for checking in with us on this thread! The video options you point to allow users to mirror or unmirror the video they see of themselves but it does not change what is broadcast to others - my video presents to you unmirrored no matter what.

Broadcast of mirrored video (as opposed to just viewing mirrored video of yourself) would be incredible useful for, for example, dance or music instruction, or other training scenarios.

Is this feature in the request pipeline?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hi,
We’re experiencing the same issue when broadcasting dance classes. We want instructor to be appeared as mirrored for the viewers, not just mirror the display that the instructor sees. Has this feature been added or is there a software solutions. Right now we are resorting to pointing the camera at a mirror of the instructor and then it properly flips the image for the viewers.
Thank you!

3 Likes

Please reach out to customer support (support.zoom.us) and ask this question please @sminabe
That is a product question, and not part of our Developer Platform or Marketplace.

Thanks,
Ben

An option to broadcast a mirror image would be super useful for anyone teaching movement, music, or any visual arts. Would really appreciate that option since it looks like I’m teaching remotely for the forseeable future…

2 Likes

Hey @daycrossc, @epela,

Thanks, these are great ideas, please submit them directly here: zoom.us/feed :slight_smile:

-Tommy

I use a third party program called Manycam to mirror my video in real time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @Phil_Smith! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

Agreed, being able to broadcast a mirror image would be super useful

2 Likes

Hey @gareth1,

Thanks for your interest! Please submit product feature requests directly here: zoom.us/feed

-Tommy

Hey @tommy ,

What is the best way to create demand for a feature? Due to COVID circumstances, there are countless dance teachers around the world who would absolutely LOVE this feature.
The lack of this feature is one of the biggest barriers for dance teachers on the Zoom platform right now. I’ve already created a request for this feature, but would love to know how the community can rally together to create influence priority in your feature backlog. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hey @ptstudio,

For product feature requests submit them directly to our product team here: zoom.us/feed :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

I’ve just set up a new business tutoring online and chose Zoom as my platform to do so. With children not being at school I figured it would be a great way to keep as many as I can on track with their education. I have unfortunately also found this a huge issue… I’m holding up the letter b saying butterfly and they’re saying it’s a d!! Lol please see this is added ASAP it’s going to make a huge difference to a lot of people. I will also write this to where you have suggested.

1 Like