Can't join meeting without login & custom UI

Description
I’m creating a demo about join meeting without login & show my custom UI
I have done:

• init sdk: success
  • enable custom UI: isCustomizedMeetingUIEnabled = true
  • join meeting: JoinMeetingHelper.getInstance().joinMeetingWithNumber(this, number, password)

I can’t join meeting after host approve, here’s log:

MEETING_STATUS_CONNECTING
MEETING_STATUS_IN_WAITING_ROOM
MEETING_STATUS_RECONNECTING
MEETING_STATUS_IDLE

Note: without custom UI, it work!

Which version?
v5.0.24433.0616

1 Like

I was just about to post a topic on this very issue. I can confirm this exact behavior. Issue is also present in latest release, v5.0.24437.0708. Downgrading to v4.6.21666.0429 fixes it.

Hi @hoanghuynh296, @vuzix_greg,

We have rolled out a fix for this particular issue, which is the v5.0.24437.0708. I have followed the steps provided and start/join a meeting with token under Custom UI and I did not encounter any issues. Could you provide more info how to reproduce this with our demo app?

Thanks!

@carson.zoom

In my case, there is no access token. The user is not logged in via any method. They are joining the meeting anonymously by providing a meeting number, password and display name via MeetingService.joinMeetingWithParams(context, params, options).

I tried both sending in the password and display name via JoinMeetingParams and also leaving them out and waiting for the onMeetingNeedPasswordOrDisplayName() callback to fire. In both cases the meeting status changes to MEETING_STATUS_IN_WAITING_ROOM. Once the host admits the user, the status changes to MEETING_STATUS_RECONNECTING and then MEETING_STATUS_IDLE and then no further changes happen.

On the desktop side, the user shows as “Joining…” but they disappear after a couple minutes.

any update here, bro?

thanks for your information! Downgrade to v4.6.21666.0429 fix it but some issues that have been fixed in v5.x will occur, doesn’t it? I think I’ll wait for new release.

Hi @hoanghuynh296,

Thanks for the reply. We have tried to follow your steps to reproduce this issue but we are not able to reproduce it with the demo app(https://github.com/zoom/zoom-sdk-android). Could you follow the instruction here to enable the SDK log and provide the SDK log for us to further investigate? Or could you provide a demo apk that has this issue?

Thanks!

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Thanks for the info. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the demo app. Could you provide the SDK log for us to further investigate?

Thanks!

@carson.zoom,

Did some more testing this morning. At first I thought reproducing this was based on your Android version. Results seemed consistent that older version of Android were able to reproduce, newer versions could not. But after many more rounds of testing, this theory no longer held up. Lollipop through Android 10 produces mixed results. For a period of time you can reproduce the issue and then it will flip and you can no longer reproduce. All on the same device, without recompiling. The same is true for a device that consistently could not reproduce, after a while it suddenly could consistently reproduce the issue.

From my experience, this seems like a timing issue. The result is, sometimes the SDK gets stuck in an IDLE state. When the issue shows up, the meeting status goes from:

MEETING_STATUS_IDLE
(Host admits user)
MEETING_STATUS_IDLE

When the issue is avoided, the meeting status goes from:

MEETING_STATUS_IDLE
(Host admits user)
MEETING_STATUS_IDLE
MEETING_STATUS_INMEETING

If you turn off the waiting room on the host side, no issues and you can join the meeting just fine consistently.

I wrote a simple stripped down demo app that I used for testing of this issue specifically. If you’d like, I can share that. Just let me know the best way to get it to you.

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Thanks for the reply and the detailed information. Yes, it would be great if you could share a sample that could help us to reproduce this issue. Let me contact you directly.

Thanks!

Any update here, bro? Do you need my apk for test? My issue is same as vuzix_greg one! Please let me know if it’s fixed!

Hi @vuzix_greg,

Thanks for providing the demo app. We are able to identify an issue with the sample you have provided. We will fix this in the next release. The current workaround for this issue would be: When the meeting status becomes MEETING_STATUS_IN_WAITING_ROOM, add the following:

new ZoomSDKRenderer(null);

Hope this helps. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello. Just following up on this. My initial testing shows that this issue has been fixed in SDK v5.2.41727.0928.