Can't record self-share source but other recording works fine

Description

While recording, share content shared by the person recording is not captured (black screen). Share content recording from other users, and video element recording, works fine.

Which macOS Meeting SDK version?

To Reproduce(If applicable)

1. Start meeting
  2. Set permissions for user to record
  3. Start recording (app uses VideoWall mode when there is no share content) (code for this is not shown below)

Recording works as expected, can see video wall

1. Current user starts screen share and setRecordingLayoutForHelper callback is received
  2. See below code for callback

Recording is not working correctly Recording has black screen

1. Stop sharing

Recording has video wall again (code for this is not shown below) Recording now working as expected again.

Below is the code (paraphrased) that I am using in this scenario. NOTE: This isn’t complete, I have just extracted the flow for this single scenario. All API’s return SUCCESS.

End result:

• ( void )setRecordingLayoutForHelper:(CustomizedRecordingLayoutHelper *)helper {

// This returns YES
    BOOL isSendingShareSourceAvailable = [helper isSendingShareSourceAvailable];

// According to documentation, isSendingShareSourceAvailable only works when mode is set to
    RecordingLayoutMode_OnlyShare, so set this here
    RecordingLayoutMode mode = RecordingLayoutMode_OnlyShare;

// Set the mode
    [helper selectRecordingLayoutMode:mode];

// Returns SUCCESS
    [helper selectSendShareSource];

return;
    }

Device (please complete the following information):

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
MacOS 12.0.1

Hi @KieranAC, thanks for the post.

To clarify, are you using the SDK on both ends (the one recording and the other participants), or is the client being used at all? Is the issue reproducible with the client?

Thanks!

I’m using one instance of the SDK. The SDK app is recording. Other test participants in the meeting are using the zoom client.

When there is no share, and the SDK is set up for video wall recording, the recording is good and I can see video content.
example: [helper addVideoSourceToResArray:userID]; (for all users) (WORKS)

When an external participant (using Zoom client) shares, the SDK app can record their content. This works in both VideoShare and ShareOnly mode.
example: [helper selectShareSource:userID] (userID for the share source) (WORKS)

When the SDK app shares content, and is also recording, it is black screen on the recording as above.
example: [helper selectSendShareSource]; (BLACK SCREEN)

If the Zoom client is recording, and also shares, then that content is successfully recorded, so the SDK seems to be different than the full Zoom client.

Incidentally - I was not able to get -[CustomizedRecordingLayoutHelper selectActiveVideoSource] to work either (black screen) even though haveActiveVideoSource returns YES;

@jon.zoom wondered if you saw my follow-up post above?

Hi @KieranAC,

I thought I had already responded, sorry about that!

We started investigating this at the time of your previous reply. We don’t have any updates just yet, but I will let you know once any new information is available.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update!

You are very welcome! Hopefully we’ll have an update soon on this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @KieranAC,

Good news - we have identified and implemented a fix for this! It will be available in the next SDK release. Please let me know if you are still seeing this behavior after the next release becomes available. We are estimating that this release will be published later this month, but the best way to stay up-to-date will always be through our changelog page and the #new-releases category.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom

Great, thanks for the update.

The fix is for the self-share content recording only? Or is the below also addressed?

Hi @KieranAC,

This should resolve all scenarios in which the recording content was a black screen.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom

I can confirm that self-share recording is now working in SDK v5.9.0.3495.

Our app isn’t currently using active speaker recording, so I did not test that.

Thanks for the help!

That’s great news, thanks for confirming!

If you do find any issues with active speaker, please let me know and we can investigate further. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.