Changing an existing rooms assigned license through API. Is it possible?

Hi,
Looking to find out if it is possible to change an existing Zoom Webinar or Zoom meeting license through the API (webhook).
We want to keep all the existing settings for the given zoom room but due to capacity changes OR conflicts with the license already being scheduled, we would like to be able to change the assigned license to a different one.
Is it possible?
Thanks

Hi @datherton,

Just to make sure we’re on the same page—are you referring to updating/assigning licenses for users via API or are you referring specifically to managing Zoom Rooms?

If it’s the former, this can be done programmatically. Please see this post:

If you’re referring to Zoom Rooms, specifically, let me know!

Thanks,
Will

Thanks Will,
This is dealing with managing the actual webinar and/or meeting rooms.
We have various licenses (meeting 300, 1000, webinar 100, 1000, etc…) and we use the zoom api to remotely create and delete rooms as required.
The issues stem from clients requiring larger rooms from the original one we created. They may have already configured the room with invites, polls, etc…so deleting and recreating is really not an option. There are other situations as well where changing licenses is a necessity (i.e. webinar/meeting time change that may conflict with another sessions that had been booked using the same license, etc…)
We would like to remotely, via API, be able to assign a different license to an existing webinar/meeting as needed.
Let me know if it is possible or any possible work-arounds that may assist us.
Thanks
Dave

Hey @datherton,

Ah, I see! Thanks for clarifying—makes perfect sense.

This is something you should be able to update/manage programmatically. To clarify, the size of the meeting/plan associated with a particular meeting/webinar is determined by the meeting host’s settings. So, in order to ensure that a meeting could have 1000 participants, for instance, you would need to ensure the User Settings for the meeting’s host reflected that capability.

You can update a host’s user settings by sending a PATCH request to our Update User Settings endpoint. You will designate the plan/feature by sending an updated JSON feature object:

I hope this helps!

Best,
Will

Thanks Will…
I just want to confirm the thought train here…
With what you described above, you are suggesting changing the actual account (user) settings to allow larger meetings BUT if that account (user) is only assigned a 300 license, will it not block the request to increase?

Here was my original response but shorted with above…
From what you mentioned, you are suggesting changing the actual users (license) account to increase the size of the room BUT the way we assign licenses is “fixed” to specific accounts (which we define by email address ie. webinar100-01noemailcom, webinar100-02noemailcom, webinar1000-01noemailcom, meeting300-01noemailcom, etc…). Each “account” is associated with a license/user account that can support the maximum number of users that accounts license allows.
example
We create a zoom meeting room using account meeting300-01noemailcom (which is associated with a meeting 300 license) which, by the license, has a max of 300 participants.
The client comes back 2 days later and requests a larger capacity. We have an account meeting1000-02noemailcom account (associated with a 1000 user license) which is available at that time BUT it is scheduled to be used later the same day. In addition, the meeting300-01noemailcom account is also used later in that same day for a different client.

Hi @datherton,

Thanks for clarifying and laying out your use case in more detail. To clarify, on the Zoom side of things, meeting capacity is tied to the meeting host’s settings/features, not the meeting itself. Given how you provision users on your end, I can see the issue this creates.

One possible workaround, given that meeting capacity is tied to host users’ settings, not meeting IDs themselves, could be to provision a couple of users under your account, specifically for hosting large meetings. This way, you could designate a provisional user (not necessarily associated with a real individual) to be the “host” of meetings that require larger capacity, without affecting existing users/accounts.

Let me know if this helps to clarify, or if there are still questions.

Thanks,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.